Smaller Terriers.

nuttalls strain does throw some small 9-10 inch terriers, his terriers of 11-12 inch were not considered small back in the 70s-early 80s. read plummers fell terrier, most of the out an out foxing men thought 11-12-13 inch was ideal size.

they told us big terriers were needed to follow hounds, they told us beddys had to be big to catch rabbits, they told us that lakelands needed to be big to work rock-piles

what they seldom tell us is the main reason for breeding big terriers is because it is vary easy to breed big, good looking terriers and vary hard to breed good quality small terriers.

check the smaller bull headed smooth coated patterdale of the early 80s...they quickly became the taller, bigger bull headed smooth coated patterdale. now most are the lighter, taller black rough coated patterdales, the black uns!

is this a naturel swing towards the lakeland type or are breeders having trouble maintaining the harder to bred smaller type?

border terriers are getting taller, parson Russell are getting taller, plummer terriers are getting taller, ...why?

because big smart looking terrier are easy to breed...its that simple.

hats off to Brian nuttall for maintaing a good strain of smaller terrier, well made dogs, lumps for their size, straight legs, dropped ears, substance.

best small terrier ive seen in years was a 11 inch russell bitch bred by parkin, also seen two russells-parkin bred- on front cover of e d r d magazine...but i dont know who parkin is?

parkin breeds at least 10 times a year. and must have easly 20 terriers if not more. a well known breader of russells from selby area. show not so much the worker.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

11 inch bitch

12 inches isn't so small for a working terrier. I have 8 working dogs in the kennel, 4 under 12 inches. The bitch below's less than 10, under 4,5 kg. Very usefull on badgers. But I use stronger dogs

A couple of sisters that don't mind a walk in the park

Posted Images

every time you dig you could change your mind.about what size terrier should be. Depending on the type of burrow. A bit bigger would prob be ideal. But i wont lose much sleep over it as long as they keep working. My lakeland bitch works just as hard bit bigger 11"1/2"inchs

post-62659-0-52358200-1421624727_thumb.jpg

• Like 3