Smaller Terriers.

i was looking for small working terriers. and talking to a few lads.. a while back. the subject has cropped up again and to be honest. i cant say i see the smaller terriers around these days. 25 years ago these where the norm. a lot of kennels bred them consistently and they done the job just fine. and to be honest some of these little dogs still had to dig up to the foxes. where are the smaller strains. built for fox control. consitently producing terriers . that will fit and work to a good standard.

i was going to put this as a russell thead but it would be interesting to throw this at all terriers .

SO HAVE WORKING TERRIERS GOT TO BIG. ?? IF NOT WHERE ARE THE STRAINS CONSITENTLY PRODUCING SMALL HARDY TERRIERS.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

11 inch bitch

12 inches isn't so small for a working terrier. I have 8 working dogs in the kennel, 4 under 12 inches. The bitch below's less than 10, under 4,5 kg. Very usefull on badgers. But I use stronger dogs

A couple of sisters that don't mind a walk in the park

Posted Images

ive seen a few smaller terriers recently but they wasnt small , they where still on the leg. but had poor bone. very fine . almost toy looking. the ones i had where around 10.-12 itts. and had good bone .compact. rarely ever see them now. strange really as they where the best made for the job. fashion and fancy has put them out of the picture i reckon. because some of em could really work.

This is one I bought in about 2-3 years ago really tiny and so was her litter sister. I ended up gifting her to a lad and he rates her. In hindsight it was a mistake because shes twice the terrier that black dog is (and half the size). Atb Moorside

post-73539-0-41483400-1399720735.jpg

• Like 7

Small terrier what dose the job and breed for digging Mr nuttall in UK we bring 4 terriers from him over the last 6 years travled 3000 mile round trip each time 11-12tts bitches 17lb,, males 12-13 tts fit anywere and face all game true little terriers with big hearts the only thing I can say negative is they start off a bit to hard but settle down with plenty of work no standing around waitin for the terrier to dig to the game no walking past earth's were are other fogs don't fit in and on we like them they give ther all evrytime out

• Like 4

Saw a bloke with a brace at a show last year he said were EC bred they looked quite leggy and fine boned to me, not sure if this is the stamp of his terriers now or not.

when i went to see his terriers a good few years ago. he had a very varied type. and varied price range also. ive no idea what he has now. but have seen one or two very nice terriers from his stock. couldnt have called them small though. is some of his stock not registered as parson russells now. ?

Saw a bloke with a brace at a show last year he said were EC bred they looked quite leggy and fine boned to me, not sure if this is the stamp of his terriers now or not.

when i went to see his terriers a good few years ago. he had a very varied type. and varied price range also. ive no idea what he has now. but have seen one or two very nice terriers from his stock. couldnt have called them small though. is some of his stock not registered as parson russells now. ?

I hope thats not the case about EC stuff being registered now, but could well be