• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here we go with the usual pish. " i kennel all mine together, never a problem" . I genuinely hope everyone continues to be lucky. But let me just warn you, coming home from work and discovering the re

Doesn't matter how much work, a sharp dog will fight. Anybody who has not experienced a blood bath from kenneling two terriers was smart enough to never kennel two or he has been blessed by lady luck

JMO but that sounds very small. My ferret hutch is that size.

In response to the question, obviously give the dogs as much room as you have available, but that said a well exercised terrier or any dog will sleep the vast majority of the day, so the run is less of an issue if the dog is well exercised.

Always interesting to read comments about kenneling terriers together, as obviously people have had issues and bad experiences, but i don't think it is fair to say that all terriers cant be kenneled together and that's it. Yes there is always a risk but i guess it is about knowing your dogs. My family have keep terriers of all types for to my knowledge 80+ years and probably more, all have been kenneled with other terriers. lurchers, greyhounds allsorts. Other than one minor fight outside of a kennel over a ball about 20 years ago not one of my family can remember any issues and there certainly havent been any major issues. Does this mean my family are some kind of miracle workers with these dogs, obviously not but at the same time have we been lucky for over 80 years? or are the terriers we have kept more placid, exercised more, more social, more submissive i dont know the answer in truth, but i am sure there are plenty of other folk who have kept terriers together for years without major issue.

Just my thoughts and i certainly dont know it all and have my eyes open to any potential problems. Matt.

• Like 1

Learned my lesson about kenneling terriers together some years ago, don't do it!, As far as kennels go ,make the kennel long and narrow, not square.....Dogs exercise better in the long ones....JMHO

• Like 3

all my kennels are 9ft x 4ft but never kennel terriers together a recipe for disaster imo they run together in the yard when im there and are coupled together when

out walking with no problem but at the end of the day terriers are terrier,s and can kick off over something as stupid as a leaf blowing past if 2 of them go for it

so when not there each has seperate kennel,s jmo

• Like 2

Here we go with the usual pish. " i kennel all mine together, never a problem" . I genuinely hope everyone conti-nues to be lucky. But let me just warn you, coming home from work and discovering the results of a couple of determined terriers having had a set to, is a sight i never want to see again. Like everyone else i knew it all. Turns out i knew fuk all.yours in sport Pernod

I paired two lurchers together dog and bitch and got a phone call to work to say these 2 have set about one another when I arrived home it was a blood bath! I just about saved the bitch and I will never do it again

Trouble is the more their walked and worked the fitter they get, the fitter they get the sharper they are about anything and guess what happens next. Kennel them separately IMO it just makes sense. It's better to learn from the mistakes of others!!!!!

It might not happen for years but it will happen

• Like 1

I have two kennels, one is 6x10 store bought chainlink, the other I built is 8x8 made from 4x4 post 2x4 rails, and heavy duty cattle panels. I keep one dog in each. You might never have a problem kenneling your terriers together, but if you do, and ain't there to stop it, you will end up with at least one dead, maybe both. Consider, what they were bred to do, hunt, shift, engage. If bored, or mad they will try each other. I had and hunted a brace together for 2-3 yrs. a male and female, one day my bitch decided, she hated my male. If I hadnt been there, it would have been bad. I lifted him, and nearly drowned her separating them. From that day on, they could not be out together unless hunting, then she was all business. I ended up selling him to get peace back in my yard.

Trouble is the more their walked and worked the fitter they get, the fitter they get the sharper they are about anything and guess what happens next. Kennel them separately IMO it just makes sense. It's better to learn from the mistakes of others!!!!!It might not happen for years but it will happen

:thumbs:

Doesn't matter how much work, a sharp dog will fight. Anybody who has not experienced a blood bath from kenneling two terriers was smart enough to never kennel two or he has been blessed by lady luck

• Like 3

Here we go with the usual pish. " i kennel all mine together, never a problem" . I genuinely hope everyone continues to be lucky. But let me just warn you, coming home from work and discovering the results of a couple of determined terriers having had a set to, is a sight i never want to see again. Like everyone else i knew it all. Turns out i knew fuk all.

yours in sport Pernod

like me then eh.....never again! nearly lost my best dog pup as you all seen by a thread on hear! i have 3 runs now their 8 ft by 5 ft with a 4x shed at the end

• Like 1

All depend on the terriers. And how much your around. Some people can. And never have any probs. ill have to tell the hunt to build sixty two runs. Lol

Even among hound packs there can be kennel fights. My local hunt lost 3 during thunder and lightening storms last summer...

All depend on the terriers. And how much your around. Some people can. And never have any probs. ill have to tell the hunt to build sixty two runs. Lol

Even among hound packs there can be kennel fights. My local hunt lost 3 during thunder and lightening storms last summer...

. Thats the point. Its all down to management difference is with a pack a fight starts one is going to end updead walking in to a hounds head aint nice Management of any stock is the key if it dont work for you or you have to leave them unattended for long period. Dont do it. Simple Aint an argument its a discussion what works for some dont for others.