When Should The Terrier Travel ?

I think you summed it up in one.....

"walking round some disused earths today".

If you knew they were disused.....maybe at 10 months old he did too. Give him plenty of time to mature, he is still a kid.

If he worked wonders in the hard end then you could have the makings of a brilliant terrier, but let him make mistakes. The more mistakes he makes the more he will learn. Some lads don't class there dogs good until they have had 4 or 5 seasons put in and even then they still might only class their dogs as mediocre. So patience is the best thing here. Oh and the obvious.....

Never let him run without a collar.....locator collar on (dog taken off the chain)......dog on the chain (locator collar then taken off).

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Iv seen good marking packs take over 10 minutes to mark spots in the past, not a squeek, just active sterns, then like a flick of a switch they start to mark, so why folk seam to expect a terrier to m

At last a bit common sense that sounds like it comes from experience. Of all the breeds of hunting type dogs hounds probably have the best nose. So why then can a fox leave a covert 5 seconds in fro

For my part if the dogs bred right it will mark right.If a young dog says no ,unless we are on pest control,I never question it have never needed to.The dog is born with the desire to work and the onl

Posted Images

I've seen a full pack of hounds walk over a single entranced earth without scarcely a second sniff and yet a little terrier bitch marked it strongly on the lead.....I've also seen a great many packs of hounds false mark...I'd trust a good, loyal terrier over a hound any day of the week... :victory:

The thing with hounds is once one babbles the rest get excited.

I've seen a full pack of hounds walk over a single entranced earth without scarcely a second sniff and yet a little terrier bitch marked it strongly on the lead.....I've also seen a great many packs of hounds false mark...I'd trust a good, loyal terrier over a hound any day of the week... :victory:

. Yeh!!!!! Edited by gonetoearth

best off they dont, wastes time!

I dont know about that imo its good to see a youngster search places as its all part of learning ....and can you really trust an inexperienced Terrier unless its search every inch ?
a bitch we used to have would be pulling at the lead from ten yards away or hardly even sniff it, depending on her opinion. She was never proved wrong.
So you did run a dog through after the 100% marking bitch had said no?

Yes many times in company because of doubters .she may have gone wrong who will know? Have a third read of my post and understand that i said "She was never PROVED wrong...

. Yeh!!!!!

Say what you mean if you dont agree..

if your asking a hypothetical question ...as ....when should a terrier travel an earth? = when theres something in the hole!

But they only gain this through experience...

Even a good rock steady terrier with plenty of work over him/her and been dug too everytime they speak, will also travel a hole that is empty but this would indicate to me that somethings either just left or used it very very recently...( that morning or evening) and you have just missed him!

your pup is only 10 months old and i think you said it was bred from working stuff?

if so the pup will go travel in his own time and when hes ready and not before! you cant make a terrier go to ground......

give your pup a few more months maybe another 6 to physically and mentally mature, take him walks let him hunt about get his recall good and break him to stock!

also you yourself should think about researching the very strict laws and regulations that come with legal pest control with terriers, or you could find yourself in trouble very quickly with the law, research what is and isnt legal to do... and all the best with your new pup!

i have seen a few replies that would rather be little you for being a novice than try and help you out, worry not about them folk their egos are the size of their heads and beleive me thats pretty big... its amazing what a small chapter in a mythical book from Jonny the Duck can do for you......

• Like 2

. Yeh!!!!!

. Me. No mate i bow to your vast knowledge of a breed the foxhound in all its guises. Bred for centurys with a nose that can track a fox for miles uphill and down dale. With the right sent condition , bred down from lines were failier was not tolorated false marking etc against your wee terrier who am i to judge when i dont know you your terrier or the babberling pack inqestion.

if your asking a hypothetical question ...as ....when should a terrier travel an earth? = when theres something in the hole!

Even a good rock steady terrier with plenty of work over him/her and been dug too everytime they speak, will also travel a hole that is empty but this would indicate to me that somethings either just left or used it very very recently...( that morning or evening) and you have just missed him!

your pup is only 10 months old and i think you said it was bred from working stuff?

if so the pup will go travel in his own time and when hes ready and not before! you cant make a terrier go to ground......

give your pup a few more months maybe another 6 to physically and mentally mature, take him walks let him hunt about get his recall good and break him to stock!

also you yourself should think about researching the very strict laws and regulations that come with legal pest control with terriers, or you could find yourself in trouble very quickly with the law, research what is and isnt legal to do... and all the best with your new pup!

i have seen a few replies that would rather be little you for being a novice than try and help you out, worry not about them folk their egos are the size of their heads and beleive me thats pretty big... its amazing what a small chapter in a mythical book from Jonny the Duck can do for you......

. Do. Wh smith stock mr ducks book. Ooops mythical. And duck. I thought you wrote bluck lol. Ill get mycoat Edited by gonetoearth

LMAO.

But they only gain this through experience... Thanks for the advice mate

Edited by fox assasin

. Yeh!!!!!
. Me. No mate i bow to your vast knowledge of a breed the foxhound in all its guises. Bred for centurys with a nose that can track a fox for miles uphill and down dale. With the right sent condition , bred down from lines were failier was not tolorated false marking etc against your wee terrier who am i to judge when i dont know you your terrier or the babberling pack inqestion.

I think the word is Babbling not babberling..Its a word used to describe an offence commited by hounds,,Its not my word. I never said I had a vast knowledge or even much knowledge because that would not be true. I cant understand what ive said to offend you.

This thread ain't about hounds lol

I'm far from an experienced terrier man but I know what suits us...

So what's the thoughts of guys that been doing it years? Mark on lead or let them travel? Or is it all dogs work different?

Got to say a dog that marks on lead or at hole at least saves a lot of time for me

i wouldent trust a dog untill its had a few under its belt..i like them to run a earth thru..i did trust my lal black dog 100% untill she started jacking and f***ing about after 4 good seasons...now knowing a dog can give any time i like em to run thru just to be sure :thumbs:

For my part if the dogs bred right it will mark right.If a young dog says no ,unless we are on pest control,I never question it have never needed to.The dog is born with the desire to work and the only way it knows how is to go to the scent that draws it.Must be some shite out there if it needs to travel empty places for confidence or whatever.

A waffling terrier is worse than useless and is a cull in my book.

As to hounds marking they are made or broken by the actions of those around them at the time of a mark .The huntsmen off his horse praising hounds at every mark is the worse offender.Hounds will do anything to please him which includes marking badgers as a local pack found out.They came across one in cover and killed it ,even getting blown for a kill as no one bothered to check what it was.Terrier man got very annoyed to say the least.A single waffle tells me all I need to know about a youngster.Never encourage a terrier to a hole ,should never need to,should want in if he's there.Some will not understand any of this ,some will but will pass it off as bigheadedness,some will know exactly what I mean .

• Like 8