Hw98 Reviews And Pics Needed ;)

Hi guys,

Really tempted by one of these, been on my mind for a while now as I'd love a Weihrauch but being a fan of Break Barrel designs this is up my street and comes with a lot of bells and whistles as compared to my BSA's.

However, other than Si and the lads, I've not seen a lot of reviews or owners around here.

Also, I'd live to see some images as Google doesn't seem to be finding much.

Anything related is appreciated.

White

Cracking rifles best springer i have shot. Sandwell field sports tuned so very smooth to shoot and can produce 5p groups at 50 yards if i do my bit.

Mawders will be along soon to sing their praises aswel :)

20140502_195255_zpsiql208ry.jpg

Heres a 5 shot group at 50 yards in a slight wind

20131019_143519_zps0a202ed2.jpg

Edited by Skot Ruthless Teale

Skot, that's mega!

I've seen a few things written on the net and a few magazine based reviews but they seem quite clinical and clean about it- from probably renting it for the day and shooting down an indoor range to show the results. As much that's ok and shows Lab test results, out in the field is where it really counts :)

What do you make of the stock? I've seen some people actually change it for a 97KT stock instead.

Many thanks,

White

• Like 1

Hi White Rabbit,

I have a HW98 in .177 which I have had for a few months (not tuned) and just attached a couple of pics on the Airgunforum (thread HW98 pellets) of some 5 shot groups that I shot this morning outside in a breeze at 36 yards which you may like to look at to give you an idea what is possible for an un-tuned HW98.

Skot

Nice group there mate, what pellets are you using?

Edited by lordnelson

Falcon accuracy plus in my .177 hw98 . Aye that was in the field where it matters never even been to an indoor range.

I had a 95k luxus and the stock wasnt for me .. the 98 makes the difference by its adjustable butt and comb for ne. Im a weird shape lol and i shoot left handed. The adjustability on the 98 makes it fit anybody. Amazing.

Had a hw97kt both beech and synthetic the beech was a lot nicer to hold especially with the adjustable butt and ambi cheekpiece for us leftys . I do prefer a thumbhole but the 98 is very nicely fitting around the pistol grip so can still hole her consistently shot after shot.

Im out now on the permission with the hw100kt and its boringly accurate ! Should have brought a jerry springer lol.

Bottom line. Get a 98. No regrets mate amazing rifles . Even untuned it will still be pellet on pellet . Might be twangy or grindy out the box but thats an easy fix if you have a spanner screwdriver hammer pin punch and some wet&dry paper and some moly grease

• Like 2

Falcon AP are the best pellet for my HW77 but not for the HW98.

My HW98 is very smooth but does twang a bit. Still cannot make up my mind whether to have it tuned or fettle it a bit.

Like the stock as it can be adjusted to make the fit better.

Lovely rifle and worth the money IMO

Here here on all those comments. Just bought one myself for target shooting. Paired with a mamba 1-4 and it's fantastic. On the heavy side for my pcp arms but I'm getting used to it. Also, slightly does kick straight out the box, mines a 177 so it's to be expected until things bed in. Highly recommended even without a fettle, I do hear great things from those that have been to SFS.

Pellet wise I'm getting tight groups with field target trophies.

Edited by Rez

I do my .177's at 34 and my .22's at 28 (YARDS)

and mostly keep my scopes on 10x

just makes things easier lol

theres a tree at 28 and a tree at 34 (then 40 and 50 and a fence at 58_ to check holdover points) that I put metal sheets up against to use as a backstop, and use that as a zeroing range from a tree I like to get comfy under :thumbs:

• Like 1

Hi White Rabbit,

I have a HW98 in .177 which I have had for a few months (not tuned) and just attached a couple of pics on the Airgunforum (thread HW98 pellets) of some 5 shot groups that I shot this morning outside in a breeze at 36 yards which you may like to look at to give you an idea what is possible for an un-tuned HW98.

Skot

Nice group there mate, what pellets are you using?

Thanks pal.

I managed to find the thread but by the time I found your post, I couldn't get to see the pictures without signing up- not sure if it's something I want to do at the moment but I appreciate the comment and idea of groupings of an untuned 98 :)

How are you finding it untuned? Do you feel the need or see sense in tuning it?

White

Falcon accuracy plus in my .177 hw98 . Aye that was in the field where it matters never even been to an indoor range.

I had a 95k luxus and the stock wasnt for me .. the 98 makes the difference by its adjustable butt and comb for ne. Im a weird shape lol and i shoot left handed. The adjustability on the 98 makes it fit anybody. Amazing.

Had a hw97kt both beech and synthetic the beech was a lot nicer to hold especially with the adjustable butt and ambi cheekpiece for us leftys . I do prefer a thumbhole but the 98 is very nicely fitting around the pistol grip so can still hole her consistently shot after shot.

Im out now on the permission with the hw100kt and its boringly accurate ! Should have brought a jerry springer lol.

Bottom line. Get a 98. No regrets mate amazing rifles . Even untuned it will still be pellet on pellet . Might be twangy or grindy out the box but thats an easy fix if you have a spanner screwdriver hammer pin punch and some wet&dry paper and some moly grease

Haha I think I've just become so accustomed to my break barrel springers, I feel like I'm better (and perhaps more challenging) sticking to what I know.

Underlevers seem great and I wouldn't mind a Diana sidelever but for my current and previous permissions of waking the woods, minimal movement and quick reloading is something we all appreciate, compared to the privileges of sitting on a field edge hunting rabbits.

I think the 98 is a step up from my BSA's and I feel like it's a rifle I could tune up and would make a difference too, did it cost much at SFS?

Looks a beautiful stock too, altogether a beautiful rifle. It's a shame you don't see many of these around :)

Thank you for your help

White