why why why when you think the season is off to a good start do you end up getting a big kick in the knackers. Came home yesterday to find my most prolific bullfinch hen stone cold dead on the floor,to make matters worse her clutch of 6 eggs are due to hatch this weekend. All my other bullies are at different stages so can't shift eggs under any of them,canarys have built nest but no eggs yet don't even consider the siskins so the only other birds on eggs is my pair of greenfinches ,so left with no other options 5 full greeny eggs into the bin and bully eggs placed under greeny hen.So far so good the greenfinch is sitting tight on the bully eggs, know only time will tell if I made the right move and get 6 bully chicks or missed out on 5 greenfinch chicks.know what to do with the confused bully cock :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Slip lead your point about greenies is very valid they are the best foster parents for other species of natives by far in my opinion.

Tel 1 you are not to far off the mark, bullie chicks have a big wide gape which is intimidating to canary hens and most native hens who have reared chicks previously but rearing bullies can work with unflighted hens who don't know the difference.

Tong po I look forward to how things go. Fingers crossed for you.....

Meroman you bet me to it ,years ago I had natives and glosters,tried some bullys under a canary hen and they seemed scared /reluctant to feed the chicks,thought the same they didn't like size or colour of gape, never tried it again , don't keep british these days but might relapse next season and get a couple of pair :Datb.

what the piss! went in this morning to ring the chicks and they've gone :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm::censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: the greeny hen was still sitting on two empty eggs but the chicks have disappeared so all that for nothing :cray: :cray:what a start to the season

I caught a greenie hen eating two chicks yesterday,they were only a day old and have to say i've never seen it before but that's 3 chicks i've seen being eaten this year,hope it don't become a trend,gutted for you tong po and hope they sort themselves out for you mate.