Before The Ban

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I found a heavier slower dog better in woods ,1/2 cross being ideal,,,,,do agree with being schooled from young age in woods thou

I've ran plenty of things through the woods with fast dogs. Get em out walkin when they are young and you will see a dog that can literally run full tilt through the timber ground just like what they

best way to get rid of a shit dog lol (joke)

I've ran plenty of things through the woods with fast dogs. Get em out walkin when they are young and you will see a dog that can literally run full tilt through the timber ground just like what they are chasing.

Dam ye you shit eating f****r :D;)

I see what you mean, my pup chased a rabbit the other week in a dense wood I got whacked if the face more than afew times lol. If you were aloud to run deer don't think I'd risk mine in the woods, interesting to know how people do it though does it mean you'd do most of there training and exercise in the woods if that was what you would use them for?

it only happened to me this morning,went for a walk to a path ive walked manys a time and NEVER come across anything there,well walked 100 yards and a pup off of lucas spotted a fallow in amongst the trees and took off,luckily I caught the sal x.the dog was missing for well over an hour .I had to start whistling and hollering,which im totally not into as quietness brings results,I walked up the hill and in the distance I saw the dopey cnut trotting towards me.the relief was something else.I have no idea where he was,what he did but i was happy to have him back,i saw 4 bloody hares on the forestry path later on and almost caught 1,im going to give this place a break as I dont need the stress of the dogs dissapearing into dense forestry and not knowing if im going to see them again or not.

• Like 1

In my area most of the hares I see are in woodland. I exercise my dogs in woodland a lot and make a point of taking young pups in forestry regularly from the time I get them. A pup of 8 to 12 weeks is no more likely to harm itself in woods than on grass and as they grow up they learn how to run through trees without harming themselves but I wouldn't run an inexperienced adult through woodland.

My youngsters learn to follow scents through the woods and generally have a whale of a time on our walks and by the time they grow up they can run almost flat out through forestry, clearfell etc. but as already mentioned, there is always the chance of broken legs etc. An occupational hazard.

If you are excersing your dogs in forestry commission etc land, sooner or later your gonna meet deer.
Either have great recall, great patience or hope theres no roads/railway lines nearby :whistling:

Yeas you could catch deer in forests - pre ban.

Cheers, D.

this time of the year walk forestry almost every walk,I avoid open fields if possible,I like to think I give the quarry a time to breed and enjoy their short lived rest.I have no qualms with the dogs running through the forestry,its that bloody lucas bred dog,he goes missing on a regular basis..last time he was on open ground and i watched him disappear into a farm yard,2 hrs later I fond him chained to a ladies shed as he had wandered in there with a dead''big rabbit'' in its mouth,almost half a mile away.I found him by luck as he started howling when he heard my van approach.where I walk theres not a bye road nor anything else about,last summer we did meet a bunch of lads on scrambler bikes high in the hills on another forestry path.I couldnt see a dog taking down a deer in the dense forestry whereI walk though,maybe some day i'll be proven wrong please god :laugh:

It's hard catching deer in woods.

When dogs up there arse in the open and deer slows down before the wood block you catch them.

When they get into thick woods (non forestry) very hard to catch they seem to spring over cover.

Had dog break it's neck ran into tree, dead on spot chasing one.

Win some you lose some,

dog can break it's neck picking a rabbit up in a field running into a rock.

Depends on a few things -

The Woods.

The Deer.

The Dogs.

It sounds dumb, but all woods are different, depends on the type, how they are planted etc and the general landscape, just how dangerous they are to run.

Also some dogs have the knack of catching in woodland.

And some deer have the knack of not being caught.

Having said all of that, its probably one (well was anyway) of my favourite sports, you might not catch so many but you get some great hunts and runs!

And as dan said, a dog growing up doing it will suss it out.

Just when it goes wrong. . . . it goes really wrong!

• Like 2

Depends on a few things -

The Woods.

The Deer.

The Dogs.

It sounds dumb, but all woods are different, depends on the type, how they are planted etc and the general landscape, just how dangerous they are to run.

Also some dogs have the knack of catching in woodland.

And some deer have the knack of not being caught.

Having said all of that, its probably one (well was anyway) of my favourite sports, you might not catch so many but you get some great hunts and runs!

And as dan said, a dog growing up doing it will suss it out.

Just when it goes wrong. . . . it goes really wrong!

theres never a handy wheelbarrow when you need one :angel: