Loose Stock Screws And A Slightly Annoying Zero Shift

So after having the Webley longbow a few weeks thing are going ok, she shoots just fine and is an all round joy to own............except.............there are a couple of little problems creeping in!

I noticed the other day that the action was a little loose in the stock, not a major problem I'll just nip the screws up, which I did and re-zeroed but after ten or so shots the zero was shifting quite a bit and the action was loose in the stock again!

Now after a bit of trial and error I've found that if I leave the stock screws to go loose and leave the action loose in the stock she shoots just fine with no zero shift and the screws do not come loose to the point that the action is in danger of falling out of the stock but..............

It is blooming annoying and its starting to make me think the rifle has been messed with by the previous owner, which to be frank worries me some what!

The trigger is fairly heavy, more so than it should be I'd say, and feels heavier than the normal "factory safe" so I'll have the action out of the stock at the weekend and have a look see and maybe re-adjust the trigger but I'm fairly dreading what horrors I might find in there now!

If any one familiar with the inner working of the longbow and can offer any help on how to sort the stock screws that would be a great help

Cheers

I solved that problem of loose screws by ..just tightening up screws with shake proof washers .I keep making sure the screws are tight ,NOT TO TIGHT then in time the screws bed down they can still loosen but on springers I always check the stock screws . letting your gun float about in the stock may cause your screws to get damaged .tighten up the screws but hold the gun loosely when shooting it .

Edited by barrywhite

in general..

if the screw start to com loose its time for new screws, they ware and the first sign is tightning a little more frequently.

nex stage is spring washer or what ever washer, this moves the thread back out a little and then uses the threads that werent taking the full hold.. then they start to go, a blob of curtain glue, its like a sticky silocone when its dry, and can be pulled out in a big glob when needed, after that it wont matter if you sacrifice to gods, beleive in aliens and polotisions alike lol...they aint staying tight.

at that stage its hole retap or welding bits on to screw into. (best buy the screws in doubles to start, then any sign of getting loose to ogten and in with the new, that saves the holes being retapped prematurely)

if the powers well up on the gun, then..well... all of the above quite often really..

the lose stock moves a bit everytime you fire, i have seen gaffer tape raps amoungst other things....but even that starts moving.

edit...eventualy the wood holes need a sleave in there because the wood wares..(the curtain glue postpones this stage but not by long..)

and, the screw that hold the trigger gaurd, if they go into the trigger part or any gun part, gues what? they ware the same and need retapping eventualy the same as the stock screws, probably a bit more crutial to replace the trigger screw ones early if posable.(its all dependant on hours use btw..i was out every day every nigh so it was like 3 month minimum back then..).

Edited by ghillies