Greyhound Foxes Help Needed

Few large silver ones round here...think one or two escaped from a fur farm that was way way back in time just shows that throw backs will pop up after many generations

You mean pure silver, like a silver mink? Surely there's a few of those mounted!

Not the bluish type like mink more silver and always very big foxes

Sorry lad, still a bit confused. Do you actually mean a silver, like they get in parts of the USA, which is practically black and silver, with a white tip to tail, but no visible red? Or are you talking about this, which has nothing to do with farmed fox, or throw backs?

shareimage20170404_124535_zpsftuutciw.jp

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a greyhound fox,but an unusual one all the same,was taken in an area where similar foxes have been taken,this pic is off an old tread,was chatting to member through pm who got the fox and it turns

What a shame such an unusual specimen had such a bad stuffing

Written quite a bit on the main site about Greyhound Foxes http://lakelandhuntingmemories.com/index.htm   ,

Posted Images

No first I saw was 1976 while cubbing hounds marked three in, in a small cover dug all three then hounds being called out and one came out in front of me and turned back in ..Told huntsman to draw again but never picked up a line at all..Saw another same area in the 90s while out for a dig but it left cover..Keepers used to tell me about the odd one seen and my mate saw one last week..Lovely looking things..Got a lot of permission in that area so could well have one with luck

I'm really sorry I can't tell you what they looked like for the simple reason no one has ever seen one alive or dead, when I started this it was to answer the question "did they ever exist" I managed to persuade Warwick Uni to do DNA on any likely candidate but despite some serious looking there is only one " We have DNA sequence from it and it is definetly fox but unlike anything in our database." It is a certainty that they bred with the smaller red fox hence the colour variations , size etc seen in today's fox. The trouble is no one is interested in research, the Prof and his friends in Bristol are only interested in the chip shop fox, so it looks like nothing will happen other than our efforts

No first I saw was 1976 while cubbing hounds marked three in, in a small cover dug all three then hounds being called out and one came out in front of me and turned back in ..Told huntsman to draw again but never picked up a line at all..Saw another same area in the 90s while out for a dig but it left cover..Keepers used to tell me about the odd one seen and my mate saw one last week..Lovely looking things..Got a lot of permission in that area so could well have one with luck

That would be one for mounting for sure. Must be a lot less common than a colour variation mink. I've had a couple of those over the years. Of course all mink this side of the water originate from farmed stuf.

Maybe it's because we see them so often that we see variations in foxes and they definitely vary very much in coat, size and shape.

I've recently cleaned up two skulls, both large old dog foxes, both killed by me within a mile of one another, each killed about two years apart.

Yet, if you held the two skulls beside one another you'd think they were different species.

One looks like a bulldoggy type, the other like a saluki's type.

Edited by neil cooney

great read,ive shot light,dark,very white chested one with lovely deep ginger coat,and got eurthristic badger mount,also shot a fox the size of a alsation,but a greyhound fox.....no.

The size of an alsation?

yes was a monster,kill about 50 to 75 a yr,this one was miles bigger than all the others.

great read,ive shot light,dark,very white chested one with lovely deep ginger coat,and got eurthristic badger mount,also shot a fox the size of a alsation,but a greyhound fox.....no.

The size of an alsation?

yes was a monster,kill about 50 to 75 a yr,this one was miles bigger than all the others.

No these are really silver with black points...Just the throwbacks to when there was a fur farm early 1900.. They do come big though

We dug one in the 90's very much like this, but not big, an average size vixen................& I did have the photo, alas no more....

The size of an alsation?

Fair enough mate, but that would make it about 50lb minimum, would it not?

Maybe it's because we see them so often that we see variations in foxes and they definitely vary very much in coat, size and shape.

I've recently cleaned up two skulls, both large old dog foxes, both killed by me within a mile of one another, each killed about two years apart.

Yet, if you held the two skulls beside one another you'd think they were different species.

One looks like a bulldoggy type, the other like a saluki's type.

That reminded me of maybe the two biggest fox's I've ever had on the lamp. Both had big broad heads, both shot in the same field, with two years between them. I was sorry after, I didn't at least take a couple a photo's.

• Like 1