Wrong Time Of Day!

Well...i got a call from one of my permissions that is fairly heavily populated with rabbits this morning and it went something like this...."Hi matthew , when do you think you will be down here next as there are lots of rabbits in all the fields and they are getting perilously close to the vegetable garden. We are going out today so if you can come this afternoon you will be on your own down here and good luck". Now then...im not really an afternoon hunter as its generally the quietest time for bunnies or so i have found but as i wouldnt be able to make it tonight i thought i would give it a go after a mornings work, so off i went.

On my approach i could see both cars outside the house but thats not a problem i thought. When i pulled up the lady of the house opened the door and shouted at the top of her lungs "Hi matthew, we ended up not going but good luck!!!".....and i mean loud...but no problem i thought...Cammo on, rifle loaded, set off nice and quiet as usually there are usually a few bunnies in the garden to the holiday cottage near her house (which was unoccupied) .....or so i thought, until i saw her son firing up a strimmer in the garden. But...no problem i thought and made my way down to the bottom field which is usually occupied by 3 shetland ponies that usually see me and leg it to the top of the field out of the way....but today, riding lessons for the grandchildren....No problem i thought.....again...and made my way back to the wood just opposite my van thats teeming with rabbits and a fair few woodies too, only to be greeted by the husband of said owner marching towards the wood with a chainsaw in hand and a can of easy start!!!! Every self respecting quarry species was either 20 feet underground or had flown 4 miles away to get some peace and quiet. So while taking my jacket off and putting my rifle away, said lady open the door again and bellows "any luck"....i could have screamed.. but instead just said "its a bit early in the day really, i will come back tomorrow night when its a bit cooler and they will be feeding". So thats a victory for the rabbits......until tomorrow....unless there is a brass band following me around the wood. Still, its better being out in the fresh air....just.

• Like 3

frustrating but it sounds like you have good relationship with landowner.... lucky position not to b e sniffed at I guess...

always next time .... and you get bugger all sitting in front o the tv...

if anything got a quick walk , was seen to be doing summit by landowner ... all plus points :-)

paul