Budget Springers..your Experiences

hi folks

right eh ho

I have a Hatsan at-44 pcp that I am extremey happy with for mucking bout with ...excellent value weapon ...

im thinking bout getting a springer so I can practice off of my shooting sticks to partially simulate / practice stick shooting that I would do with my deer centre fire rifles

due to stuff going on as we all have im limited to small budget so looking for real experiences on various make / models from those that used them....wouldn't mind a near full power model incase I wanted to do a bit o bunny stalking with it as well.

I just heard bout the hatsan striker edge that just released ...anybody used that?

cheers

folks

paul

Hello, mate.

I have a Hatsan 55s that my boys use. Straight out of the box it was shite, to be honest. Opening the barrel was like trying to snap a branch, stupidly stiff. The action was rough as a bear's arse and it twanged and bounced around on firing like a Jack-in-a-box on speed. It's only saving graces where it's trigger which I must say for a low end gun was pretty bloody good and the fact that the gun was a gift (thanks :victory: ).

I stripped it down to find that there was no lube of any discription inside and that the piston, cylinder and spring were covered in rust (!!). To be fair it's the only Hatstand I've had in bits so maybe they're not all like this.

After a good clean out and fitting a Welsh Willie tuning kit, removing a coil from the barrel catch spring, a proper re-lube and a bit of polishing on some rough edges it's turned out OK. A very consistant 11.2 ft-lbs over my chrono and a nice sweet firing cycle.

If I were you though, I'd try to find something used. Pretty much anything German or Air Arms will still be better than a Hatsan so long as all's as it should be.

Good luck!!

• Like 1

cheers guys

think I may have found a hw35 local ish from an older gent whos had it since new apparently mid 80's sooooo depending on prce if its in my range ( hopefully )

see what happens

thanks for advice

paul

I can only echo what the lads have said. I had a hatsan springer for about 24 hours then back it went. I swapped it for a far more well known brand of springer but on the slightly cheaper end (I dont want to slate the company as they do excellent pcps) and stuck with it for 6 months and it still wouldnt group with any pellet I showed it, so definately air arms or any of the hw range. You honedtly do get what you pay for. Good look fella

The thing is; buy quality. Forget those cheep rattle-box imports and pick something solid. Don't forget, quality only hurts the wallet once and you can always sell the gun if you need to.

I would rather have a second hand gun of a good pedigree than a brand new shiny eastern import.....

There's always a reason why something's cheap... :victory:

• Like 4

Personally I'm using a cheap little Gamo Varmint Stalker, at the moment, and I'm really impressed with it. What you get for the price is a lot more than I was expecting.

I know Gamo had a really bad reputation, but I'm pretty impressed with them, and I've been popping the odd bunny here and there. I'm even looking at getting the .22 version as well. Yes, I really do like them that much.