First Time

As in title I took my lab out today to try and shoot over her I started with a friend 150 yards away but she got very nervous when was going off I even tried to throw dummie and shot but when sent for dummy was half hearted running out. That's only her first time has anyone any ideas or tips greatly appreciated

Use an airgun to start off with, while you''re in your garden, it's familiar surroundings for her. Put a bowl of food down while the airguns going off. She'll soon ignore it. IMO>

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.....

• Like 1

Get her doing some thing she really enjoys give her a free run at it then take starting pistol and fire it inside your jacket pocket or inside your game bag as it muffles it the dog will hear it but it won't be the same sharp bang keep doing that making sure she s not beside you and she s running about a distance doing what she likes doing then gradually while at distance let one off out of your pocket or game bag followed by back in the pocket and see how she reacts the secret to this is that your read her reactions if she s still spooky with this then air gun in garden sounds a good plan

I had a goldie the same, more nervous of the actual gun than the bang, doesn't phase him now. take your time, more familiar surroundings and as has been said air rifle about her for a while, whilst you're holding the rifle have someone crack party poppers off and when she's relaxed about them onto a starting pistol and again when relaxed the actual shotgun .

One of the issues is the owner, you get concerned by the fact the dog is going to be scared, so you put the lead on get someone to fire a gun so the highlighted factor as you tighten the lead as the gun going off, this instantly transfers concern to the dog.

Try getting the dog used to the result rather than cause, the end result is a retrieve and that is what they want, try going rabbit shooting with a rifle let him see a few rabbits have some fun and shoot some to let him retrieve then he connects the gun with fun, ( do I sound like a poet)

Try to be more relaxed, if you see someone with a nasty dog on a lead as you approach they pull the dog in shorten the lead, this instantly puts a dog in defence mode, to let the dog know to roll up sleeves. If we as owners do the same when a gun goes off we are highlighting something that shouldn't be worried about.

Why some people fire a gun over a dog is beyond me I've 2 gun dogs and if I fired over them they would jump before they went off to find the retrieve .

Take her to a clay shooting ground in car with you, then just gradually introduce eg, open car window, open car door, open boot, then have her out the car by you and just move closer until ur standing behind a gun, take ur time with it there is no rush but jus reasure her all the time

Atb

As in title I took my lab out today to try and shoot over her I started with a friend 150 yards away but she got very nervous when was going off I even tried to throw dummie and shot but when sent for dummy was half hearted running out. That's only her first time has anyone any ideas or tips greatly appreciated

A half dead pigeon usually works well