Speed

Took my pup out for a walk today as I do every day she 6 months saluki whippet she flushed out a few rabbits today I would never intentionally give her runs at her age but she was off lead and so on but she was quite unlucky not to catch but my permission is quite tight for room with lots of bramble patches and the rabbit seems to make it them all time just wandering if she will get any faster than she is now as she matures and she starts off really slow at em is this normal cheers I no it's a silly question just curios as it's my first running dog

She's got loads of changing to do yet mate. Mentally and physically.

At 6 months she is a baby (24 weeks old).

My pup was chasing the odd thing at that age and had her first rabbit at 7 months but she wasn't running properly.

She's 9 months now and whilst I haven't "slipped" her on anything she has put the odd thing up and the difference in her running from 7 months to 9 months is incredible.

• Like 1

she starts off really slow at em is this normal ... To me it sound like you have been round there and shown her more than she needs to see already...just be careful with the pup..or you may get a few problems later on ....atb

She won't be fully matured, mentally or physically until she's at least 2 years old.

She will probably grow another inch or so and be at least 10 pounds heavier, so she should get a lot quicker, if she's given the chance.

A lot of dogs are ruined before they can even reach there best, so give her time and good luck with her

Some dogs take longer than others to mature both physically and mentally, so its basically different with every dog. I personally wont run my dogs until at least 14 months old. I've got a saluki cross bitch who started about this age and a Deerhound x Greyhound who is 20 months old and hasn't yet had a slip (I'm waiting for next season) who is showing some very very good potential.

Seen a few lads ruin young dogs at like 5/6 months and just causing issues later on in the dogs life. The best dog i've had the pleasure to go out with didn't start working until almost 3 years old, and he turned out an absolute machine and a very desired stud dog in my area due to his abilities.

In my opinion, you're better off waiting until the dog has finished growing and has mentally matured, that way you're more likely to get the dog to its full potential.

My dogs also saluki/whippet with a healthy dose of greyxcollie somewhere in the mix . The change in running style from five months untill they mature can be great , mine still ran like a pup at 9months . His pace now is bloody fast and he's turned into a real point and shoot dog off the slip , let it mature at its own pace and mentally let it grow up as well , id worry more about that at the mo than the physical

Atb CW

She's got loads of changing to do yet mate. Mentally and physically.

At 6 months she is a baby (24 weeks old).

My pup was chasing the odd thing at that age and had her first rabbit at 7 months but she wasn't running properly.

She's 9 months now and whilst I haven't "slipped" her on anything she has put the odd thing up and the difference in her running from 7 months to 9 months is incredible.

Not having ago,but didn't your pup open up on its last chase?