Calling 101???

Hi Gents,

I'm just reading thru a few post where shooters are calling the police (101) first before they go out shooting?? May i ask why? Is new and mandatory? I shoot at a local farm (9.5acres) and just knock on the door to let them know or text them.

• Like 1

Hi there, not compulsory but some shooters are told by their local force that they should do it. Some feel it's because they like to keep tabs on shooters, others think that it's to stop them sending an ARV out if someone calls in seeing a man with a gun in a field. I don't know what the true driver really is behind it but I hope it doesn't become mandatory.

I don't call in and have no intentions of doing so. I'm not doing anything wrong and it's just extra hassle, plus it's not free from your mobile.

• Like 2

Hi there, not compulsory but some shooters are told by their local force that they should do it. Some feel it's because they like to keep tabs on shooters, others think that it's to stop them sending an ARV out if someone calls in seeing a man with a gun in a field. I don't know what the true driver really is behind it but I hope it doesn't become mandatory.

I don't call in and have no intentions of doing so. I'm not doing anything wrong and it's just extra hassle, plus it's not free from your mobile.

Brilliant cheers the reply, few shat myself for a sec thinking i was doing something wrong as i havent heard about calling before even when i spoke to firearms officer. Defo extra hassle and if not needed will not bother.

I don't phone them when I'm shooting farms or small holdings I just phone the land owner and say when I'm going to be out , but it's part of the permission to shoot at work and I had to do a risk assessment and have my insurance available every time I'm out but with the amount of rabbits we shoot that's never going to be a problem

No not compulsory. Where i shoot (Oxfordshire so Thames Valley Police) i phone 101 for both of my permissions can be seen by public, one can see me from railway line and the other can see me from road. As i can be seen then i report so if joe public see me and report they have seen a nutter in camo gear carrying a rifle. To save the police sending the local swat team out to find me, search me, conviscate my gun to take it for testing to make sure it's not over power. This will mean that i'm without my only gun for a time.

• Like 1

I only do it for one particular permission due to the fact Joe Public can be quite near and some one could call the boys in blue. I don't do it for my work and other permissions. Better safe than sorry as there's nothing worse then having a Heckler Koch stuck in the nape of your neck Lol

Mate, if the public can see you, call in! If you don't, expect at some point in time, a load if rozzers with guns and pissed off faces coming to visit. It's hardly a hassle And it could really save you more hassle in the future!!

Not had to call them myself, mostly as I'm out of sight on my permissions. However, I have had shifty eyes from trespassing dog walkers and campers/hikers before now.

I may in future look into calling them myself should I get spotted more, private land or not. I shall not fancy being surrounded by ARV

I also carry a (folded) copy of my insurance details too as you'll never know who may request to see them.

Best to be prepared than not at all.

White

At my current permissions, I'm miles from a public path and everyone on the farm knows me. So that's cool.

As I expand the number of permissions, I may be calling ahead. The police have better things to do than hassle me and scare of my pigeons. Plus if you're applying for a FAC or SGC, it'll show you're responsable by calling in. Can only work in your favour.

Plus if you're applying for a FAC or SGC, it'll show you're responsable by calling in. Can only work in your favour.

Good call.

Lucky i shoot on private land away from sight. If im seen then the " eyes " are trespassing and should not be there !

But who knows in the future a quick call to 101 might save a load of hassle

Plus if you're applying for a FAC or SGC, it'll show you're responsable by calling in. Can only work in your favour.

Good call.

Lucky i shoot on private land away from sight. If im seen then the " eyes " are trespassing and should not be there !

But who knows in the future a quick call to 101 might save a load of hassle

I remember a story, either from this forum or from a mate, of a guy out shooting, and the armed response came at him. He had waved at a guy walking by the farm, whom had waves at him first. Our shooter then got on with his bunny bashing. When the armed response turned up he was shocked. Turns out the guy he had waved at was trespassing and had called the police! The irony of the whole thing!!!

Edited by RemyBolt

I know a few lads that have been faced with the armed response while out shooting, in this day and age fof the few seconds it takes to call the police I think its well worth the call

I like to inform the North Yorkshire police when I'm especially during the hours of darkness with a rifle and roughly where I'm gonna be and when I leave the area,thereve got my home address, registration number and phone number on their database so if need be will contact me and occasionally have rang me asking if I'm in the area and seeing if I'd forgot to ring them which at 2 in the morning keeps the Mrs amused.