Gary!what you doing!

graham01

I was out today with Gary a little MHH im flying this year,hes been flying free a few days now and im getting chasing the lure.Gary as been passed from pillar to post in his short life and to be quite honest somewhat ******ed up.Al (trappa) rescued him last year and did enter him at rabbit with no great success and with that being Als main quarry, he passed him to mick and mick gave him to me to fly.Because of his unwillingness to chase fur i thought id try to get him on feather this year and im using a swing lure with mallard wings attached and he is doin quite well.Anyhoo i was in a stubble field today flying him at the lure off hay bales when he turned his back on me bobed hi head a few times and took off,the next salute a fuuly grown hare gets up and after a short flight gary binds to it! well hes riding it like a midget on a shirehorse but wouldnt let got,the hare kicked him of but he gave chase and the hare just made it to a thick hawthorne hedge.I couldnt beleive it if id have got there quicker he would be off the mark with a hare!so much for feather lol.

Edited by graham01

I was out today with Gary a little MHH im flying this year,hes been flying free a few days now and im getting chasing the lure.Gary as been passed from pillar to post in his short life and to be quite honest somewhat ******ed up.Al (trappa) rescued him last year and did enter him at rabbit with no great success and with that being Als main quarry, he passed him to mick and mick gave him to me to fly.Because of his unwillingness to chase fur i thought id try to get him on feather this year and im using a swing lure with mallard wings attached and he is doin quite well.Anyhoo i was in a stubble field today flying him at the lure off hay bales when he turned his back on me bobed hi head a few times and took off,the next salute a fuuly grown hare gets up and after a short flight gary binds to it! well hes riding it like a midget on a shirehorse but wouldnt let got,the hare kicked him of but he gave chase and the hare just made it to a thick hawthorne hedge.I couldnt beleive it if id have got there quicker he would be off the mark with a hare!so much for feather lol.

small bird big heart :clapper:

Well done gram. Sounds like youve cracked him bigtime. :thumbs:

Really, really pleased your giving it 100% and winning mate, looking forward to reading some more, and an outing or two! :clapper:

Cheers Al,hes a strange little sod he seems to go off the boil really quickly sometimes and others hes mad for it.I fed him earlier and kept his ration smallish he wa kept on weight at 1.4 1/2 and was like a man possesed when i gave him a bit of exercise in the garden.I know what he flew at lat year but at this weight has become sticky footed a little so i dont want to take any more off yet a i think he will be too low,ill keep him there get him fitter and see how he does if i need to ill shave a bit off later.he is hitting the lure great and i showed him a frozen cock phessie when taking more grub out tonight and he was mad for it :clapper: .When he is entered we will get out mate and see if he will keep it going this year.I think im benefitting from the work you put in with him last year mate

Its nowt to do with me mate. I got him and he was fu**ed but i stuck with it for a season and we took a good few rabbits, thats all. You are the one who is giving it 100% now mate, and your going to turn him from a crap hawk to a beauty. Your too modest mate.

When you have entered him and he has a few rabbits under his belt give us a ring and we will have a look out.

So frustrating! he had great flights at a drake mallard (just escaped by the skin of its beak!)and a couple of pheasant but still no kill.Im not to bothered really he is chasing with conviction and none of the slips were really easy and his fitness is still not there,so he will be flown every day for the rest of the week hopefully fingers crossed a result will not be far away