yesterday they sat on the sofa together only for about an hour or so , we have been taking them out together but the saluki is now muzzeld and they are not let off to run together only seperately i think jimmy is still wary , tommy tries to sniff his stitches and seems to want to know whats wrong with his mate but we are constantly with them and they are never left alone together hopefully things will get back to normal just have to wait and see

Well it's interesting to see that nobody has wondered why two neutered dogs can act so aggressively

A few years ago aggression would be see as a symptom of testosterone with all the pack leadership bullshite that goes with it ,

Is pack leadership a thought process or an instinct ?? Why in this case is there male aggression if neither of them are testosterone driven

No one can say properly if this was proper aggression though, not without actually witnessing what happened, but the thoughthere process is if you neuter both then you put them both back on an equal level, it also can depend on when one or both were neutered, if a dog is neutered young then the hormones dont develop fully, so they never know testosterone, neutered later after adult hood and they can still retain some of the urges, thats why some will still try to mate an in season bitch, even though they have nothing there.

Pack leadership is a human thought process, dogs dont form packs, within a group of dogs things can change at any point on a daily bases , there was a study done some time ago on some ferrel dogs that would congregate on a dump site, the article was quite interesting, shame I can't find it again.

It sounds to me like the saluki was just playing (a bit too rough) and the smaller dog retaliated? Did the saluki shake the smaller dog or just pin him and did he try and follow it through when you broke them up?

The point I'm trying to make is that if these were two entire dogs testosterone would more then likely be seen as the cause with mention to ranking and pack leadership

My question would be if a dog has no nads why would he still want to be pack leader with the access to bitch's etc, if you say it's an instinct then why do people believe dogs gravitate towards a leadership role with all the trapping it's brings which is actually a thought process and future foresight, not an instinct

the saluki went after the whippet the whippet had ago back then the saluki grabbed him by the neck and dragged him into the cornfield once seperated the saluki wasnt interested , the whippet was neutered when aged around 2 and has fathered a litter of pups , he still tries it on when the bitch is in season and they still get knotted , the saluki was done at 10 months old , they are alot better together now but still not going to let my guard down , thanks for everyones advice