Peregrines Nesting In Buildings??

Yn Manninagh

Yesterday evening I was sat watching a dilapidated cottage, in the hope of photographing a Barn owl which resides in a nest box in there. An hour before sunset a pair of Peregrines flew overhead one went behind me and the other flew down to sit on the edge of a very small quarry overlooking a pond. It took off after about ten minutes and disappeared.

At 20:15 the light was fading and wasn't bright enough to use my long 600mm lens so I walked the 100 yards to the road to sit and wait to see which of the many opening the owl would use to exit, for tonight sorte.

Within five minutes the Peregrines returned and entered the building through part of the collapsed roof, I couldn't believe it. One hopped up onto a rafter for a couple of minutes and I had a good view of I for a couple of minutes through mi binoculars. I stayed until 21:00 and never saw them leave or the owl for that matter.

Now we have a healthy population of Peregrines here, but the nests I've observed have all been around the sea cliffs, which are less than half a mile from the cottage. So after that long winded explanation have you heard of or no of any Peregrines that have nested within a building.

This cottage is going to be my focus for the summer, to see if I can get another good Barn owl shot like this. It took me six months and probably a thousand shots to get this.

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrcomphotosmanninagh/8725119931/player/" width="800" height="520" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Yn Manninagh
  • Like 2

Well it's a nice sunny day again here in Scotland, wow two days in a row. I'll be out at that cottage this evening and will stay to see if those Peregrines return. I'll take a shorter lens too for when the light fades to see if I can get a shot of them.

I understand that they nest in cities and towns on buildings, but I have never seen one enter a building. Maybe they are just using it to roost in, still strange though.

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday evening I was sat watching a dilapidated cottage, in the hope of photographing a Barn owl which resides in a nest box in there. An hour before sunset a pair of Peregrines flew overhead one went behind me and the other flew down to sit on the edge of a very small quarry overlooking a pond. It took off after about ten minutes and disappeared.

At 20:15 the light was fading and wasn't bright enough to use my long 600mm lens so I walked the 100 yards to the road to sit and wait to see which of the many opening the owl would use to exit, for tonight sorte.

Within five minutes the Peregrines returned and entered the building through part of the collapsed roof, I couldn't believe it. One hopped up onto a rafter for a couple of minutes and I had a good view of I for a couple of minutes through mi binoculars. I stayed until 21:00 and never saw them leave or the owl for that matter.

Now we have a healthy population of Peregrines here, but the nests I've observed have all been around the sea cliffs, which are less than half a mile from the cottage. So after that long winded explanation have you heard of or no of any Peregrines that have nested within a building.

This cottage is going to be my focus for the summer, to see if I can get another good Barn owl shot like this. It took me six months and probably a thousand shots to get this.

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrcomphotosmanninagh/8725119931/player/" width="800" height="520" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Great pic mate.

There used to be a pair nesting on one of the spires of Truro cathedral in the city centre..

Used to freak people out when they fecked a pigeon over LOL

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I see what your saying, aware they are all around cities and towns but never seen them go inside a building,very unusual

Part of what got me interested in bop was my father rescuing a pair of fledgling peregrines from a cat that had cornered them inside a loading dock downtown toronto ontario.