To Soon To Apply For Different Gun ?

Interesting info , my ticket states vermin ground game and any lawful quarry . As cedric say guidelines state hmr as a calbre for fox and my firearms dept say ok at close range . You would think these thing would a bit more clear . Basc did say they were hearing of injured foxes with smashed up ribs due to wrong calbre . But surely that's down to shot placement and range.

Any Lawful Quarry means Any Lawful Quarry!

Why should anything about range (distance) be a bit more clear, it stands to reason a HMR is not a long range tool, why does that need making more clear, does your FEO say don't use your .243 or .308 further than 500-600 yards?

Just to add a bit here in your specific case, why on earth would you want fox added, or even had a debate with your FEO about fox, when you have Any Lawful Quarry.

Regardless of anyones concept of the meaning of Vermin, you have ANY Lawful Quarry, why is there any debate about fox, your FAC is conditioned for it under vermin, and if you, or anyone has a doubt about that, there can be no doubt whatsoever from anyone that Fox is ANY Lawful Quarry! :yes::thumbs:

Edit

Did you tell the BASC you had Any Lawful Quarry?

Edited by Deker

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive waited a year for my ticket so i want to do things by the book,dont want to give any reason to lose it. Ive posted my ticket off wednesday with my request for a .22 lr and a 17hmr. So will wait for that to come back and see what conditions if any for those calibres, then take it from there. I cant read the exact wording on my ticket as its in the post,but the any lawful wording is for fac air i wouldnt use that on a fox so i needed advice on what calibre would be suitable for fox.

Ive waited a year for my ticket so i want to do things by the book,dont want to give any reason to lose it. Ive posted my ticket off wednesday with my request for a .22 lr and a 17hmr. So will wait for that to come back and see what conditions if any for those calibres, then take it from there. I cant read the exact wording on my ticket as its in the post,but the any lawful wording is for fac air i wouldnt use that on a fox so i needed advice on what calibre would be suitable for fox.

There is no minimum calibre, energy, speed, ammo type, etc etc etc for fox in this country. If you have FAC Air and your FAC says Any Lawful Quarry against it, that is legal for Fox, however you want to look at it.

Moving on...................... if you don't want to use it on fox, fine, if you can't find the right situation to use it, fine, if it isn't the right tool in almost every situation then fine, but it is suitable for fox in limited situations and is legal to use on fox!

There is nevertheless potential for problems under a mass of cruelty legislation, but that is only if cruelty can be shown/proved and is not per see an issue of using FAC air, simply the way it was used, put another way, if your were prosecuted for cruelty that would not mean the FAC air became illegal for use on Fox, simply that you inflicted cruelty, (You can inflict cruelty on a fox with a stick, a .308, your boot, etc) a FAC air is perfectly capable of despatching fox humanely in the right situation. Ok, we are playing with words and situations, but that is what the Law is about!

Hell, it is potentially legal to use FAC Air on Deer in some situations, even though you would never get a specific deer condition against one. (see humane despatch in the Deer Act amendment) :thumbs:

I see where you are coming from just the same, and nothing wrong with being cautious and seeking advice! :thumbs:

How about this, the.22rf shall be used for the control of vermin.Both .223 shall be used for the destruction of foxes and control of vermin when being carried in pursuit of foxes.this suggests that they do not class a fox as vermin.Regards.