Saluki X Problem

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My best friend and hunting partner is a professional gun dog trainer and also helps train the police and problem dogs, his "pet hate" is people "breaking" gundogs by being overly hard, watch any scurr

A working saluki is primarily programmed from birth to sight and then chase moving objects, the motivation to do it has been there for thousands of years. This over powering desire to chase and catch

It's a Saluki x   Keep it simple, praise her when she comes back, ignore her when she takes her time and don't loose your rag.

Skycat, I've had quite a few excellent saluki crosses that I used as all round mouching dogs, good hare dogs, fox and anything else, the best being beardie/greyhound 1st cross bitch X with a saluki/greyhound, I also was a good friend of Dave bird who bred some decent stuff, there were also plenty of good saluki's bred by Liverpool lads in the 70's and 80's that made good names for themselves, but you ask anyone who lived around "Altcar" at that time how many lurchers used to be seen or found wandering around the lanes and they will all tell the same story, they were saluki or saluki crosses, I've seen lots of lads with panic in their eyes when visiting my mates over there running about desparately looking for their dogs before the keeper found them first, there are also many strains of saluki from different arab states that are quite different in looks as well as temperament, there are good and bad in every breed and that includes saluki's and their various crosses, I feel sorry for anyone getting a bad one, I've now had 2 in 40yrs that have been poor despite a proper upbringing, WM

• Like 1

Bollocks! A dog that gets broken isn't necessarily unhappy at all ;)

I am confused, why would any living animal..humans included, be happy to be "broken"

I see you haven't explained the methods you use to "break a dog". Maybe best you keep it to

yourself

don't be a tit mate some gundog trainers used to use their methods to break exceptionally stuborn dogs with great results ;) me on the otherhand I don't need to, I'm pretty good when it comes to training dogs ;)

I am the tit? Cause I don't need to "break dogs" I have seen some clips of gundog trainers..abuse it is and I wouldn't give them a hamster to take care of.... I am afraid I am thinking the person who thinks because some gundogs trainers use this method it is going to work to teach a saluki recall may be the one being the tit. I will try and find the clip of the gundog trainer that made its rounds on fb...the guy was proud of himself for bullying and abusing a spaniel. Brute force and ignorance. I guess you and I live in two different worlds...I obviously have different standards...

From what I have seen you don't have much support with your breaking advice on this thread?

And there you go being a tit ;)

most on here know I was only offering as a suggestion and not actually advocating it. You on the other hand are all over it like a dose of herpes.

Peace x

My best friend and hunting partner is a professional gun dog trainer and also helps train the police and problem dogs, his "pet hate" is people "breaking" gundogs by being overly hard, watch any scurry or field trial and you will easily pick out the lads that have been doing this, their dogs are poor and they rarely do well, this is the same with some lurcher types, once broken, never mended, WM

• Like 8

I am confused, why would any living animal..humans included, be happy to be "broken"

I see you haven't explained the methods you use to "break a dog". Maybe best you keep it to

yourself

don't be a tit mate some gundog trainers used to use their methods to break exceptionally stuborn dogs with great results ;) me on the otherhand I don't need to, I'm pretty good when it comes to training dogs ;)

I am the tit? Cause I don't need to "break dogs" I have seen some clips of gundog trainers..abuse it is and I wouldn't give them a hamster to take care of.... I am afraid I am thinking the person who thinks because some gundogs trainers use this method it is going to work to teach a saluki recall may be the one being the tit. I will try and find the clip of the gundog trainer that made its rounds on fb...the guy was proud of himself for bullying and abusing a spaniel. Brute force and ignorance. I guess you and I live in two different worlds...I obviously have different standards...

From what I have seen you don't have much support with your breaking advice on this thread?

And there you go being a tit ;)

most on here know I was only offering as a suggestion and not actually advocating it. You on the other hand are all over it like a dose of herpes.

Peace x

by suggesting it you are advocating it....just saying!

• Like 1

, there are also many strains of saluki from different arab states that are quite different in looks as well as temperament, there are good and bad in every breed and that includes saluki's and their various crosses, I feel sorry for anyone getting a bad one, I've now had 2 in 40yrs that have been poor despite a proper upbringing, WM

I quite agree, and I've also had the 'misfortune' to own one of the feral, 'ignorant' sort of Saluki lurcher, but a lot of that was my fault. Had I taken him ferreting at a very young age rather than letting him learn to hunt up alone, he would have been far more likely to have seen me as an intrinsic part of his life, rather than a mere hanger on, occasionally necessary to his main purpose in life. I know that you can't control the breeze, but there are ways in which you can invent a damn good pair of imaginary wings. That said, do we really want to spend our lives trying to harness the wind with a handkerchief, when there are so many better things to use?

yourself

With all due respect, you cannot compare the saluki lurchers to gundogs. The methods used on gundogs will not get you anywhere with a saluki lurcher. IMO.

• Like 2

A working saluki is primarily programmed from birth to sight and then chase moving objects, the motivation to do it has been there for thousands of years. This over powering desire to chase and catch stuff is one of the main factors that give way to the feeling that they have cloth ear syndrome or as is often refered to they throw a deaf one. The bonding from a very young age with the owner and the position of dominance needs to be established from day one by the owner fail to do this and the saluki will exploit the master and dog relationship to the maximum and with less experienced owners it will totally reverse the pack status. Recall is part and parcel of this bonding and pack reinforcement and must go hand in hand with lead training house training or whatever form of training you wish to instill in the animal. The arguments for running young dogs or not to run them my take is that don't over face or over run the animal but as soon as its recall is good and its level of fitness enables it to be slipped on a quarry that it stands a reasonable chance of catching leverets, dropped rabbit in the middle of a field etc is part of this recall and the dog listening to you, if the dog is primarily going to be a running dog/coursing dog you want it to do its job and come straight back to you as pack leader, you don't want it to start hunting up that in coursers is not a good trait. Once the saluki in particular is coursing or chasing and then returning direct to the owner then other types of work can be introduced breaking to ferrets and birds should be done with the recall and lead training and then it is a natural progression to go on to other hunting activities, First get a reasonable level of obedience and skill in its primary use then expand its activities, Don't try to teach everything at once it leads to confusion for both dog and owner and leads to many of the bad habits that many owners find it difficult to deal with. Patience and more patience and don't be embarrassed to get help if the training aspect is difficult to me natural stockmen are few and far between but most people can be trained to be competent dog owners who will enjoy Their dogs. You cant teach a dog what it was born to do and is genetically programmed for what you need to do is to be able to control the dog and condition it to do what it is naturally inclined to do when you want it to.

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 5

spookster has had saluki breed and saluki xs based lurchers for longer than you been alive mushroom , most them dogs a lot of muppets f**k up and dump at the side of the road end up with her and she has turned these dogs around to give them a happy and healthy life show a small bit of respect

• Like 1

yourself

With all due respect, you cannot compare the saluki lurchers to gundogs. The methods used on gundogs will not get you anywhere with a saluki lurcher. IMO.

Totally agree :yes: if you reread my post it says I have no idea the outcome or how it would react just that it is a possible option to consider :thumbs:

• Like 1

spookster has had saluki breed and saluki xs based lurchers for longer than you been alive mushroom , most them dogs a lot of muppets f**k up and dump at the side of the road end up with her and she has turned these dogs around to give them a happy and healthy life show a small bit of respect

Not a sniff Charlie boy when someone presumes to put words in my mouth ;)

Not a sniff Charlie boy when someone presumes to put words in my mouth ;)

I "presumed to put words into your mouth" ???? you said to try the method not sure if it would work...did you not? it is a crap method for training dogs and you advised the guy to try it...I did not put those words into your mouth..Breaking dogs is not a method I would use so would therefore not put such such words into any ones mouth!

Edited by spookster1