Saluki X Problem

No such thing as a problem saluki only owners who don't know what to do or haven't got the patience I have turned plenty of real basket cases around in my time. They are not for everyone and if you have reached a point where your interest is gone then either rehome to a experienced owner or pts

• Like 3

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My best friend and hunting partner is a professional gun dog trainer and also helps train the police and problem dogs, his "pet hate" is people "breaking" gundogs by being overly hard, watch any scurr

A working saluki is primarily programmed from birth to sight and then chase moving objects, the motivation to do it has been there for thousands of years. This over powering desire to chase and catch

It's a Saluki x   Keep it simple, praise her when she comes back, ignore her when she takes her time and don't loose your rag.

anyone sudjesting trying to train a saluki or any lurcher with a shock collar would want their heads examined , anyone sudgesting you pts a dog the has a 75 percent recall , should not own these types of dogs a lot of moronic answers on here this thread is been discussed on numerous other lurcher forums some of the replies on here have me dumbfounded its a wonder pounds and recsue centres are overflowing with saluki xs

• Like 1

he has said himself he is at the end of the line what would you rather him do leave the dog in the pen , or maybe put it on preloved so a dog with issues get punted around on the merry go round Pts would be a last resort if an experienced home couldn't be found but pts is a far better option than a dog punted all over the country to finish its days in some dog pound.As for owning I forgot more about these dogs than you could read in a lifetime so whos the moron I think I know.

• Like 1

i like the theory that no dog is untrainable but i think some romanticise it a bit on here. The reality is that everyone has a breaking point where they will give up and everyones breaking point is different. i don't mean to sound dramatic but who would keep a dog that bit their child on the face or killed livestock, are you going to try to train your saluki not to bite your daughters face again? i do not agree with cowboys or cruelty but i also do not believe that with a working dog you are committed for life regardless of how the dog performs/behaves. i hope one day i can become so good i can train everyones basket cases like some seem to be able to do on here and i am always keen to learn but until then i will do what my father and grandfather and most people do with troublesome dogs.

• Like 2

no one is talking about dogs that have bitten anyone we are talking about a lad with a dog whom he feels has exhausted his skill so he wants to do what is right by the dog one is pass it on to an experienced owner or the second pts .As for salukis I dont think you your father or grandfather have dealt with them longer than the people around me , so maybe we don't give up on them as easy as some do :thumbs:

Edited by desertbred

go back to basics and start again ,trained several saluki types some were very obiedent others never made it , into the hall of fame , a well trained dog is a joy a headcase does your head in ,and testes you to the full, best of luck and hard work

he has said himself he is at the end of the line what would you rather him do leave the dog in the pen , or maybe put it on preloved so a dog with issues get punted around on the merry go round Pts would be a last resort if an experienced home couldn't be found but pts is a far better option than a dog punted all over the country to finish its days in choices to make a some dog pound.As for owning I forgot more about these dogs than you could read in a lifetime so whos the moron I think I know.

your right DB the dog should not be passed on it be on a downward spiral till it ends up with some muppet who has to make a choice between drink drugs or dog food

no one is talking about dogs that have bitten anyone we are talking about a lad with a dog whom he feels has exhausted his skill so he wants to do what is right by the dog one is pass it on to an experienced owner or the second pts .As for salukis I dont think you your father or grandfather have dealt with them longer than the people around me , so maybe we don't give up on them as easy as some do :thumbs:

you did say 'no such thing as a problem saluki' which i imagine encompasses salukis that have bitten someone. i have next to no experience with salukis and don't condone giving up on them but even you must have a point where you would give up. i don't mean to sound smart really i am just trying to make the lad feel a bit better IF he makes the hard choice of giving up on his dog which he clearly would rather the dog was more manageable. atb.

• Like 2

i like the theory that no dog is untrainable but i think some romanticise it a bit on here. The reality is that everyone has a breaking point where they will give up and everyones breaking point is different. i don't mean to sound dramatic but who would keep a dog that bit their child on the face or killed livestock, are you going to try to train your saluki not to bite your daughters face again? i do not agree with cowboys or cruelty but i also do not believe that with a working dog you are committed for life regardless of how the dog performs/behaves. i hope one day i can become so good i can train everyones basket cases like some seem to be able to do on here and i am always keen to learn but until then i will do what my father and grandfather and most people do with troublesome dogs.

il tell you what I was taught, there no such thing as a bad dog

• Like 1

People have to take some responsibility and not just blame the dog I feel sorry for the dog, lead walked and left in pen.

I have 8 rescue dogs, no downward spiral for them. The have a great life. I had to start all over on recall with some, as they

were worried to come back due to adverse training, ie physical punishment or e collars. If he cares for the dog

and he seems to then he has to find somewhere for the dog that people are able to work with her. I have a saluki

here who came to me at a year old. Her recall was terrible and she wouldn't come back, because of the reasons I

mentioned above. Her recall was coming good in no time and then she broke her leg. Two operations and a year later I had to

start over with her recall. Especially as she didn't want the fine to end, only short walks to start with. A year later and

her recall is pretty good. I will never understand having a healthy dog pts because people have failed them. No I am not suggesting

free ads. I do believe there are worse fates then death, but if a dog was not working out with me then it would be my responsibility

to find the right home for the dog. I don't view dogs as disposable. Maybe get in touch with a good rescue like Lurcher LInk

when they have space they may take her in and find her the right home?

• Like 1

you did say 'no such thing as a problem saluki' which i imagine encompasses salukis that have bitten someone. i have next to no experience with salukis and don't condone giving up on them but even you must have a point where you would give up. i don't mean to sound smart really i am just trying to make the lad feel a bit better IF he makes the hard choice of giving up on his dog which he clearly would rather the dog was more manageable. atb.

if a dog bites someone ,then its the fault of the owner for not teaching the dog its boundarys or the fault of the person being bit for not understanding dog behaviour,dogs dont normally bite for no reason most times a combination of the two,and as for salukis most people arnt suited to the breed full stop,they need to be in the pack 24 7 jmo mc

il tell you what I was taught, there no such thing as a bad dog
And hope you never get one