Allround Small Gundog?

Springer or cocker are the only true gundogs. The rest are nnot the complete package for rough shooting.

Beg to differ and so do several kennels that were beaten by a Staffy :laugh: :laugh:

You still pretending that throwing a dummy 20 yards and picking it up is 'gundog work'.....lol

Nope, but the rough shooting she did over 3 seasons was :laugh: :laugh:

I would have loved to have seen that Mushy, I got one of mine to a decent standard of obedience and he would bush quite well, but when it came to retrieving.....nup, he destroyed everything.....

I would have loved to have seen that Mushy, I got one of mine to a decent standard of obedience and he would bush quite well, but when it came to retrieving.....nup, he destroyed everything.....

She did in the beginning too, but with a lot of training and time she was bang on would put up anything and retrieve it from land or water and one hell of an obedient bitch to boot :yes:

Had a lot of good days with that dog ;)

Edited by mushroom

She sounds like a cracker!

I miss my old staffs, but I would be worried these days to get one, there is a lot of rubbish about. The neds seem to think they are a status symbol.....eejits.

The re-homing places are full of them...

• Like 1

She sounds like a cracker!

I miss my old staffs, but I would be worried these days to get one, there is a lot of rubbish about. The neds seem to think they are a status symbol.....eejits.

The re-homing places are full of them...

She made me happy and put a smile on a few peoples faces also :laugh:

Having read through your original post and considered again, despite me suggesting a Cocker, I think a Labrador is probably a better prospect. I have a young Springer and too much exercise is nowhere near enough which I assume is similar to a Cocker. A relative has a Labrador whis is a much calmer dog, a bit of a lump around the house, but at least it is in the house. My own Spaniel comes in the house for five minutes and my wife wants her back in the kennel while I clear up the Tornado aftermath. A Labrador is probably better suited to sitting it out in a pigeon hide and although not as good at hunting there's plenty around that give it a good go. Maybe a bigger dog than you wanted, but better in the house, does the shooting job and you may get an extra couple of years before knee joint replacement is required.

It's a Springer all the way for me , but you need to be thorough in its training,be crafty in your techniques, take advantage of the spanial being genetically programmed to please it's master, if you can crack this he/she will be a force to be recond with and your knees will thank you for it , good look

It's a Springer all the way for me , but you need to be thorough in its training,be crafty in your techniques, take advantage of the spanial being genetically programmed to please it's master, if you can crack this he/she will be a force to be recond with and your knees will thank you for it , good look

Springer or cocker are the only true gundogs. The rest are nnot the complete package for rough shooting.

well I ve shot over spaniels all my day s until I took the notion and got myself a German wire haired I got my eyes opened big style so much so I ve just bought another 12 week old bitch pup my first is just 2 year old this month and I shot over him last season and to say I was impressed is an under statement he s not the finished dog yet. But very dam close and I'm told by proper hpr people that he ll not be the real deal till he 3 year old or so will all I can say is god help the pheasant and woodcock as this lad misses nowt and if the bitch pup come as good I ll have enough dog and more for any rough shooting

i too have searched for a dog which is basically the same size and coat of a spaniel yet has the trainability and more commonly seen house dog qualities of a labrador, then it came to me, what are the possibilities of a terrier x lab, anybody ever came across one?

Asking a lot from a lab to be small, racey and to do beating. And let's face it a dog that won't beat cover isn't going to be best for a 1 dog man.

Springer all the way. Cockers are over priced to dossimilar job as springer but won't retrieve the same

some labs out there that not over big ,and racey maybe nice bitch would be spot on for rough shooting

I have a Springerdor who was docked, and is a first class retriever, and works like a springer and a lab. but not like a "Looney on Speed". :doh: