Pigeon Shooting With Air Rifles

Don't flame me :) but I was wondering

Has anyone had success with this kind hunting,

Static in a hide over crops as I've acquired a new permission and I haven't a shotgun licence

All of my hunting is on rabbits on grassland day or NV.

This is a great little permission and I would like to keep it.

All advice appreciated

Keith

Thank you,

Yes I could get a shotgun I have no convictions and a gun safe. Trouble is there are public footpaths around, dog walkers, a major road adjacent to it. There is I've been told by the owner that there is a guy who is allowed to shot there with a shotgun but he hasn't been around lately. Saying that, if I feel that the land would warrant buying one I will.

I have shoot pigeons before from 55 yards with my Airwolf and the others carry on feeding around it.

This method I thought might produce a good bag, worth a try :)

I've had success shooting pigeons with a airrifle decoyed in shot over a hide when they land mate :) just got to get it right u be ok then and make sure u got a good hide as they have to land and be confident it's good when u into it

It can be done with an air rifle. I have done it many times. Your field craft will need to be good.

Location of hide, camo and decoy set up will need to be spot on.

Though a shotgun is a lot more effective and will get you much bigger bags.

Make sure you know the laws concerning shooting near roads and footpaths.

Most of all, enjoy the shooting.

Well this Saturday will tell if I'm any good at field craft or not, I've got a couple of hides that I can leave there so the pigeons get used to them, happy days, I've looked over the BASC website with a view of downloading a shotgun application form as there is a part of the farm that might suit one

Keith

Not proud, but I said I would let you know, Saturday consisted of 4 squirrels, 3 magpies, I rabbit, no pigeons, I had a few in my sights but bloody hell the eyesight on those things are incredible, I'd had more chance hitting them in my van :)

Mind you the crops are not showing yet so time will tell :)

Keith

Hi Keith,

Check out this chaps videos on youtube, he knows what he is doing and has got a whole series of these clips:

Just acquired my own pcp multi-shot Air Arms S410 so will be trying this myself this year.

Chris

Hi Chris, Thank you for that, I too have seen some of his vids but on rabbit shooting with air-rifles he's very good.

Today I've bought hide poles, netting, six decoy pigeons, and two magpies, I've seen the woodies on my permission follow the magpies in and leave when they leave.

So need to set them up and see what that brings

Keith

Decoying to an air rifle can work but never safe festively as with a shottie. What can work really well with and air rifle is a couple or three lifters in a tree that they flight into regularly. Bit more of a pain to set up than normal decoding but much more effective with an air rifle