Ferreting Rats

Hello gents

I was wondering if anybody could give me a word or to on using ferrets to flush rats. All I would like to know is as followed.

Does anyone do it?

Whats the best way to go about it?

Is it even possible?

Will the rat do any major harm to my ferrets?

Any replies would be much appreciated.

All the best blackdog92

Edited by Blackdog92

I've often had to get rats out of sheds on a couple of occasions,middled sized jills with 2 or more yrs experience is my preferred option.once the ferret picks up the trail get ready ,old ratty won't hang about ,a good terrier at the door will take care of him.

I've often had to get rats out of sheds on a couple of occasions,middled sized jills with 2 or more yrs experience is my preferred option.once the ferret picks up the trail get ready ,old ratty won't hang about ,a good terrier at the door will take care of him.

If you don't mind me asking why choose a Jill over a hob? I'm not against the idea i would just like to know if thers a reason for it or u prefer jills? Cheers for the advice by the way. Have you ever had a ferret and a rat come to contact with each other? Who do you think would come out on top?

A good average sized Jill or 2 will tackle a single rat .again its a an experienced Jill I'd use,.if I had a smallish hob I'd use him too,but I don't have a smallish hob.ratty won't stick around for a fight unless absolutely cornered or is protecting a nest,the experienced ferret will win the fight,however check for any bite marks on the ferret and if so ,best get it seen to.also never use an in season Jill as she's more susceptible to pick up an infection from rats urine.hope this helps

A good average sized Jill or 2 will tackle a single rat .again its a an experienced Jill I'd use,.if I had a smallish hob I'd use him too,but I don't have a smallish hob.ratty won't stick around for a fight unless absolutely cornered or is protecting a nest,the experienced ferret will win the fight,however check for any bite marks on the ferret and if so ,best get it seen to.also never use an in season Jill as she's more susceptible to pick up an infection from rats urine.hope this helps

Thank you very much for all the advice mate. Very helpful. Hopefully youl be able to help me with any future queries.

No wanting to risk a good working ferret on rats its easier to set traps ,bait and these work 24/7

I have tried traps and theres no water supply close enough to flood them out and smoking is out of the question as the landowners won't permit it so this is the last resort.

If you have any other ideas please put forward.

Ferreting for rats can be great sport. Absolutely no reason why it can't be done, but as others have said don't use a young ferret. Some ferrets will take a bite or two and then refuse to have anything more to do with rats, but others don't seem bothered at all. I used to have a small jill that was smaller than your average adult rat and she was mustard on them and couldn't get enough of it.

Air rifle with lamp or night vision, what traps are you using? Fenn traps placed in the right places will work, this time of year there full of young the ferrets will get quite a lot of bites, or have you thought about terriers if the landowner wants rid of them tell him you need to use a smoker or let them breed up and cause him more problems :-)

Cheers spencer......

Air rifle with lamp or night vision, what traps are you using? Fenn traps placed in the right places will work, this time of year there full of young the ferrets will get quite a lot of bites, or have you thought about terriers if the landowner wants rid of them tell him you need to use a smoker or let them breed up and cause him more problems :-)

Cheers spencer......

I'm using fenn traps but there already is a big problem and it's not working fast enough for the landowner ( he's a bit of a snobby sort and bad to deal with ) I have terriers and that was the idea to flush with the ferrets and nail them with the terriers. I say ferrets but there polecats it's just quicker typing ferrets.

i always use my ferrets to flush rats my ferret is just little tame as they come but kliied 2 rats at the corner of my shed one after another no problem dont worry about your ferret it might come out a bit grumpy but its ok they are there to work

• Like 1

I'v done alot of ratting with ferrets biggest problem we had was we didn't have enuff ferrets and we were working about six on a days ratting but they would get knocked up we've had some really bad dying afew days later some wouldn't go to rats after afew bad does at them even dug one out dead season before last that's the only dead one iv had but iv dug plenty of dead rats out with a ferret in front of them . Go on utube search bedlington 2005 some good ratting clips using both ferret and smokers you'll see rats that are cornered and the can dish it out when needed atb rt

Edited by russell tuck