Added Bull/staff Blood

what are the E.B.T.cross terrier's like when it comes to reproducing? I know when they were crossed into a.p.b.t. and staffords they produced some animals that were more than capable of the task for which the bullys were originally bred, but they were never really able to pass those quality's on to their offspring. I put this down to the fact the E.B.T. has never been a sporting "bred" animal, and so has no bloodline to pass on, merely create a hardy first cross with plenty of hybrid vigour...

Yokel.

• Like 8

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

here's a train of thought to peruse over. at the end of the 18th and into the 19th century, if we are to believe the history books, certain sporting types began crossing the heavy bodied bulldogs of t

what are the E.B.T.cross terrier's like when it comes to reproducing? I know when they were crossed into a.p.b.t. and staffords they produced some animals that were more than capable of the task for w

a edited version of the F.Buck interview published on the net in the USA Frank Buck’s first terrier came to him from his father, a gypsy who had kept his own type of terrier for many years – a line

Posted Images

In theory when the English Bull Terrier was introduced into any working lines it shouldn't have "clicked" as the EBT was never what many would call a tested type.

But it did.

It was introduced into the wheaten mainly through The Gallent Hendrix and The Red Hand of Ulster. It was introduced into some of the white workers years ago and these lines are still going strong and believe it or not some of the best known breeders of black terriers introduced miniature EBT into their lines to improve heads and jaw.

But IMO it was the other side of these crosses that carried the EBT blood and IMO was never necessary, same as the staff blood.

As someone once said putting a staff across a black terrier might improve the staff blood but not the other way around.

• Like 3

I have a question for Glyn, I've read the story about the Cheshire pits in Nuttal dogs, but have never been able to find anything else about them. You say they weren't staffs, do you know what they were? Just curious, interested in the history.

I have a question for Glyn, I've read the story about the Cheshire pits in Nuttal dogs, but have never been able to find anything else about them. You say they weren't staffs, do you know what they were? Just curious, interested in the history.

i think the Cheshire pit was the one put in to the sealyham terrier, the story as i was told it with the Nuttall dogs was Brian's Grandfather mated small pits 25lb or less on to his border/lakie types Brian then carried on the line

• Like 1

i think the Cheshire pit was the one put in to the sealyham terrier, the story as i was told it with the Nuttall dogs was Brian's Grandfather mated small pits 25lb or less on to his border/lakie types Brian then carried on the line
  • Like 1

Not a common thing to see now a days as far as size goes. I've seen old billings for historic matches with dogs in the twenties even a few down in the teens. I watched a program about Ireland several years back, and they were showing a family in apartments. Anyway one of the young boys had a small red brindle staff/pit type dog that had to be in the low 20's. It's rare to see them over here in the states less than 45-50lbs. I have a tall lanky male that's 70-75lbs., but I know for a fact they had American Bulldog added to the line in the 80's. He a great watch dog, but that's it, lol!

seen plenty in the low to mid 30's. had a good little dog here that would hang of the scales @28lb! had a rosita/banjo bred bitch also that was around the 26/27lb mark, tho she never made the grade....

Yokel

• Like 2

Yokel that's pretty small, not as small as old time dogs. You know them small ones must have been fast paced. Like a pair of batam weight boxers. America loves the heavy weight. I guess the same thing happened to staffs over there?