Grand-National

Think I'll go for Vintage Star and Mr Moonshine purely because the Smith stables are just across the moors from me and I often see their horses blasting over the moors. Tremendous to have them gallop passed only a few feet away and no crowd noise to drown out the thundering of the hooves and the snarling of the breathing.Far better than being at a course. Magnificent creatures indeed.

I'm sure I've got a video of them somewhere.

• Like 1

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No.   My dad wrote a book about racing (him and my gramps were/are well into the horses) so I've been to every race course in the British Isles and horse racing has always been a feature in my life

. Far from it bud i like interesting debate , the national is a test of stamina and gile , witch the have made even more dangourous by lowering the fences thus increasing the speeds of the horses

Never understood why people who have a punt on the national have each way bets.................just go for it commit to having a punt if your not an everyday gambler.

. All ways make me laugh when people say its a house wife race , When the reason its followed and punted on is it be came a national institution big fields The races its self is harder to win than any. Mc coy the greatest rider ever threw everything at it scudermore never won it And still to this day holds it as the one to win The house wive races with a million pounds prize money and world wide coverage. Lol. Dream on Every big punter. Is scared of it because the carnt beat. The course Now we'll get the oh but cheltnam lol. I go to both. Cheltnam has fook all on Aintree Mc coy just said. "Ive got to win the national again i want that feeling back , " good enough for the champ

I think your post sums up everything that people find wrong with it and everything others find right.

Wrong because it is so hard to win as it is such a lottery so from a serious punters view it is a race to have a bit of a fun bet on but nothing serious because although your horse might be 3/1 that should have small print after it saying (if there were no other horses and no jumps and it wasn't two laps). I guess for that reason it is known as a race to have a bit of fun with from a betting side but it is these multiple elements that can happen that makes it such a spectacle to watch and this draws in the coverage and crowds. The fact these elements make it the hardest race to win it is no wonder every jump jockey wants to win it as they know they have to be the luckiest sod out there to cross that line first.

There is a lot of skill involved, no doubt, but what it all boils down to is a rub of the green, a horse with guts and a jockey that can hold on no matter what.

. Do you ride , or ever been involved with NH

Tday First Lieutenant and supreme doc.

Hope you only had 50p max on those and even better if you we're just cheering them on.
. 50p lol big punter eh

The only way to make a small fortune gambling or betting is to start off with a big fortune :thumbs:

Ive vid of binderee and bow charging up the gallops pre the national several years ago A great sight bow was my favorite at the time 5 out bow was in the lead binderee went on and won. Jim cull the pilot good job i took the advice and backed both heaverly lol

. All ways make me laugh when people say its a house wife race , When the reason its followed and punted on is it be came a national institution big fields The races its self is harder to win than any. Mc coy the greatest rider ever threw everything at it scudermore never won it And still to this day holds it as the one to win The house wive races with a million pounds prize money and world wide coverage. Lol. Dream on Every big punter. Is scared of it because the carnt beat. The course Now we'll get the oh but cheltnam lol. I go to both. Cheltnam has fook all on Aintree Mc coy just said. "Ive got to win the national again i want that feeling back , " good enough for the champ

I think your post sums up everything that people find wrong with it and everything others find right.

Wrong because it is so hard to win as it is such a lottery so from a serious punters view it is a race to have a bit of a fun bet on but nothing serious because although your horse might be 3/1 that should have small print after it saying (if there were no other horses and no jumps and it wasn't two laps). I guess for that reason it is known as a race to have a bit of fun with from a betting side but it is these multiple elements that can happen that makes it such a spectacle to watch and this draws in the coverage and crowds. The fact these elements make it the hardest race to win it is no wonder every jump jockey wants to win it as they know they have to be the luckiest sod out there to cross that line first.

There is a lot of skill involved, no doubt, but what it all boils down to is a rub of the green, a horse with guts and a jockey that can hold on no matter what.

. Do you ride , or ever been involved with NH

No.

My dad wrote a book about racing (him and my gramps were/are well into the horses) so I've been to every race course in the British Isles and horse racing has always been a feature in my life in some respect.

I did go on a riding holiday as a kid and dam near got killed a few times. My steed only wanted to get back to its stable asap except when we were ambling down a country road. I'd been trying all dam week to get the little blighter to gallop and it wasn't having any of it. Anyway, my dad's horse nipped the arse end of mine and it took off like a rocket. Not having had the chance to gallop all week I did what came natural and immediately pulled into action what I'd seen on tv. Up out the saddle, bunched reigns, pushing the neck in time to get a bit more out of it and giving it the gruff "GEEON LAD!".

The instructor went complete ape when she caught up with us about a quarter mile down the road. Must've been something to do with my heel position, I wasn't really paying attention as I was being led into the winners enclosure at Goodwood whilst she was giving me the big hair dryer. The little pony got an extra polo when we got back though.

The second and last time I went riding was a little trekking excursion and as soon as we left the stable all mine did was fart all the way round which meant I didn't get to see much due to me hanging on it's neck unable to hold myself up I was laughing so much. I am sure the trek was cut short as well as we supposed to be out for 3hrs and we were back in about 1hr. I am glad though as I couldn't take much more, I could hardly breath as it was.

• Like 5

Ive vid of binderee and bow charging up the gallops pre the national several years ago A great sight bow was my favorite at the time 5 out bow was in the lead binderee went on and won. Jim cull the pilot good job i took the advice and backed both heaverly lol

It's stunning when you can hear them go full pelt. Really gets your heart going.

My gramps was in with loads of jockeys in the old days and had a few stories of being given horses with heavily meaning winks. Full wages would be placed on a horse.. He was a bit of a picker as well in his day according to my dad. Gramps could pick a pairing but if his choice of jockey wasn't on the horse he wasn't interested.

He and my dad had some very heated debates - gramps was all form and rider etc, my dad was draw advantage and has had certain courses change the starting boxes changed to other positions due to his stats etc. He was also the tipster behind the tabloid tipsters and I've had to sit through many a silent racing programme when he's turned the sound off as in his words the TV commentators "Don't have a chuffing clue".

They sat me on a big hackney edward the bosses carrige horse. I juddered round the yard with all the stable staff laughing never got on another lol

It's frightening isn't it?

I've been on an ex-racehorse that was being stabled up near my parent's, didn't go anywhere just sat on it. All I could think "If this fecker wants to go anywhere I have no choice in the matter, just exit stage left and hope for the best".

I'm a volunteer field manager for a riding club and they have hunter classes, a hand or three shorter than the NH horses but there are kids of about 9yrs riding them!!! WTF!!!

It's stunning when you can hear them go full pelt. Really gets your heart going.

My gramps was in with loads of jockeys in the old days and had a few stories of being given horses with heavily meaning winks. Full wages would be placed on a horse.. He was a bit of a picker as well in his day according to my dad. Gramps could pick a pairing but if his choice of jockey wasn't on the horse he wasn't interested.

He and my dad had some very heated debates - gramps was all form and rider etc, my dad was draw advantage and has had certain courses change the starting boxes changed to other positions due to his stats etc. He was also the tipster behind the tabloid tipsters and I've had to sit through many a silent racing programme when he's turned the sound off as in his words the TV commentators "Don't have a chuffing clue".

. Lol. Ive been in the right place at the right time a few times !!!!!!

Think I'll go for Vintage Star and Mr Moonshine purely because the Smith stables are just across the moors from me and I often see their horses blasting over the moors. Tremendous to have them gallop passed only a few feet away and no crowd noise to drown out the thundering of the hooves and the snarling of the breathing.Far better than being at a course. Magnificent creatures indeed. I'm sure I've got a video of them somewhere.

the jockeys not a bad lad either..