Grand-National

It's a Calvary charge.

I only bet a score on the national. It's more a tradition .

I couldn't bet any serious cash in that race.

GTE and me had a wee disagreement about that very subject couple year ago lol

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No.   My dad wrote a book about racing (him and my gramps were/are well into the horses) so I've been to every race course in the British Isles and horse racing has always been a feature in my life

. Far from it bud i like interesting debate , the national is a test of stamina and gile , witch the have made even more dangourous by lowering the fences thus increasing the speeds of the horses

Never understood why people who have a punt on the national have each way bets.................just go for it commit to having a punt if your not an everyday gambler.

It's a Calvary charge.

About if you could predict a winner or if it was down to chance?

I think you can predict a winner in the National but EVERYTHING has to go right, on top of that horses in themselves are unpredictable so nothing is ever a certainty with horse racing and that is the whole reason it has people going back time after time. If it was straightforward and the best horse won every time than it'd be very boring to watch and there wouldn't be any bookmakers to take your cash.

It's a Calvary charge.

. Far from it bud i like interesting debate , the national is a test of stamina and gile , witch the have made even more dangourous by lowering the fences thus increasing the speeds of the horses i fear for the jockeys and the horses and the race its self ignorant advise given to. The blind , You should attend it and meet. People that have tried to win it for years and failed. The greatest test of horse and rider in a handicap chase simple as that ,
  • Like 3

I always seen it as the house wife's race.

You can narrow the field down to potential winners, but it's certainly not a race I'd risk a good bet on.

I'll pick other races for that. Lol

Saying that I've had the winner few times,

Best was my forecast

"Little polvier" and "west tip".

Weren't the fences lowered after growing opposition from animal rights and RSPCA guidance etc?

Memorable ones I've had are Esha Ness (the race that never was), Garrison Savannah ("where the F**K did you come from?), and then Numbersixvalverde (had £4 on that badboy at 33/1).

If it's a grey mare with a female rider, good luck to you ;)

We usually go into the bookies in the morning and all the family pick there horses thats the thing about the National they all stand a chance of winning

I agree with scot, housewife and kids race. Always worth a watch though. Respect to any horse than can still run in the final straight after going 2 circuits of that course.

I always seen it as the house wife's race.

You can narrow the field down to potential winners, but it's certainly not a race I'd risk a good bet on.

I'll pick other races for that. Lol

Saying that I've had the winner few times,

Best was my forecast

"Little polvier" and "west tip".

. All ways make me laugh when people say its a house wife race , When the reason its followed and punted on is it be came a national institution big fields The races its self is harder to win than any. Mc coy the greatest rider ever threw everything at it scudermore never won it And still to this day holds it as the one to win The house wive races with a million pounds prize money and world wide coverage. Lol. Dream on Every big punter. Is scared of it because the carnt beat. The course Now we'll get the oh but cheltnam lol. I go to both. Cheltnam has fook all on Aintree Mc coy just said. "Ive got to win the national again i want that feeling back , " good enough for the champ
  • Like 1

. All ways make me laugh when people say its a house wife race , When the reason its followed and punted on is it be came a national institution big fields The races its self is harder to win than any. Mc coy the greatest rider ever threw everything at it scudermore never won it And still to this day holds it as the one to win The house wive races with a million pounds prize money and world wide coverage. Lol. Dream on Every big punter. Is scared of it because the carnt beat. The course Now we'll get the oh but cheltnam lol. I go to both. Cheltnam has fook all on Aintree Mc coy just said. "Ive got to win the national again i want that feeling back , " good enough for the champ

I think your post sums up everything that people find wrong with it and everything others find right.

Wrong because it is so hard to win as it is such a lottery so from a serious punters view it is a race to have a bit of a fun bet on but nothing serious because although your horse might be 3/1 that should have small print after it saying (if there were no other horses and no jumps and it wasn't two laps). I guess for that reason it is known as a race to have a bit of fun with from a betting side but it is these multiple elements that can happen that makes it such a spectacle to watch and this draws in the coverage and crowds. The fact these elements make it the hardest race to win it is no wonder every jump jockey wants to win it as they know they have to be the luckiest sod out there to cross that line first.

There is a lot of skill involved, no doubt, but what it all boils down to is a rub of the green, a horse with guts and a jockey that can hold on no matter what.