• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I've mentioned before, I've been keeping pigs on a bit of land near me for a couple of years, it's about three acres or so in size, and for the most part is a jungle of bramble, with a few trees an

The first occupants . . .        

Aye, the good news is that after a bit of a paddy, I've sat myself down and i'm pretty sure I can think my way around it.   We're building a barn after all . . . .   I'll stop being a fanny now

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic project Jai.

I'd bin that Draper strainer. Apart from the fact that Draper give money to the antis, they are crap compared to a gripple.

Spent hens are worth no more than £1.50 each. Most farmers get no more than 50p and free catchers for them.

At times like this I really miss my livestock.

One day..........

I haven't really added anything to this thread for a while, i've been grafting away though.

Lots of veg planted.

We got rid of the chickens, enlarged the duck enclosure, and have a couple of ducks and a bantam sitting on eggs (duck), as well as some in the incubator, so hopefully soon we should have a few ducklings.

We also ended up with a couple of day old call ducks, which have imprinted on me and the mrs, which is quite funny, they are tiny little things, proper characters, and love a good swim. They follow you about wherever you go.

The geese have grown, and are just starting to get lift when they flap about the place, so need their wings clipping.

The pigs are all getting bigger, there are twelve on the ground at the moment, with the first two going for slaughter tomorrow, and a few more in july. The last should go in September or there a bouts.

Fingers crossed but I think the older sow is back in pig and if so will have a litter in August.

And finally, I was lucky enough to drop on a bit more grazing, about 10 acres all together, which i've taken on for a year.

IMG_5565_zps825e033d.jpg

IMG_5570_zps19bc5366.jpg

Edited by Ideation
  • Like 8

I haven't really added anything to this thread for a while, i've been grafting away though.

Lots of veg planted.

We got rid of the chickens, enlarged the duck enclosure, and have a couple of ducks and a bantam sitting on eggs (duck), as well as some in the incubator, so hopefully soon we should have a few ducklings.

We also ended up with a couple of day old call ducks, which have imprinted on me and the mrs, which is quite funny, they are tiny little things, proper characters, and love a good swim. They follow you about wherever you go.

The geese have grown, and are just starting to get lift when they flap about the place, so need their wings clipping.

The pigs are all getting bigger, there are twelve on the ground at the moment, with the first two going for slaughter tomorrow, and a few more in july. The last should go in September or there a bouts.

Fingers crossed but I think the older sow is back in pig and if so will have a litter in August.

And finally, I was lucky enough to drop on a bit more grazing, about 10 acres all together, which i've taken on for a year.

IMG_5565_zps825e033d.jpg

IMG_5570_zps19bc5366.jpg

Cracking :thumbs: Just processed my first 2 sheep of the year butcher reckons best carcasses hes seen in a long while :yes: Not bad for the tenner each they cost me,and they taste delicious :D

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well. . . . . sent my first two pigs for the summer off last week, and picked up the carcasses today. Both came out really well, nice covering of fat but pretty lean. One pig went straight to the local pub, and the second has just gone in my freezer! The one I kept gave me about 65 kilo of meat and about 100 sausages, some of which i'm stuffing down me now as a cracking sausage sandwich with a couple of duck eggs on top :thumbs:

Think I got a half pig spare if anyone is interested, if not, it'll go in my belly!

2 down, 7 more to go for this summer. :victory::thumbs:

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Just sat and read this thread from start to finish. Brilliant! Had me contouring up ideas/plans in my head. If only I had the money....

How you getting on at the moment mate?

If he seems flat out at the moment ,I had text off him today.

The pitter patter of little trotters !! :D