• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I've mentioned before, I've been keeping pigs on a bit of land near me for a couple of years, it's about three acres or so in size, and for the most part is a jungle of bramble, with a few trees an

The first occupants . . .        

Aye, the good news is that after a bit of a paddy, I've sat myself down and i'm pretty sure I can think my way around it.   We're building a barn after all . . . .   I'll stop being a fanny now

Posted Images

Aye, the good news is that after a bit of a paddy, I've sat myself down and i'm pretty sure I can think my way around it.

We're building a barn after all . . . .

I'll stop being a fanny now :laugh:

• Like 12

After having a bit of a wobble yesterday, i'm back on track, and instead of giving up . . . . i've gone the other way.

Can't keep up with orders for pork. . . . . so here are the new arrivals.

IMG_1548_zpsf262ae2f.jpg

IMG_1551_zps1525f6fe.jpg

Really pleased to get these particular pigs as they are something that i've been looking for, for a while :thumbs: Should finish, with excellent carcass conformation :thumbs::victory:

• Like 6

So that's me back at ten pigs again, a long with fourteen assorted poultry, and the gang of assorted dogs and ferrets :laugh:

Might get some more ducks, been having eggs every day and they are great, better than chickens I reckon :thumbs:

IMG_1543_zpsb3e055ed.jpg

Oh yer, also forgot to say, i've started on the veg, got some lettuce greens, rocket etc out now, some chillis and peppers, and a herb garden started. Going to get some sweet corn in next, and look into some fodder crops like sugar beat or something, to replant the old pig pens.

Saw a rat today at the pig trough, so a half dozen fens and a few cages will go down tomorrow.

Oh. . . . and the grass is growing!!!!!

IMG_1542_zps6462ad7d.jpg

It's pretty sad how happy that grass makes me.

• Like 5

No mate, they are hybrids, a mix of landrace/pietrain/welsh/large white, and the biggest difference. . . . is the conformation on the back end. You can't see from the photos, but they have an almost double muscle thing going on, great rounded back ends for big chops etc. . . . hopefully eventually I will be able to produce pigs of the same shape, but that look like saddlebacks, so its the best of both worlds, a dark, docile pig that lives outside well etc, but with the carcass of a hybrid meet pig.

• Like 3