• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I've mentioned before, I've been keeping pigs on a bit of land near me for a couple of years, it's about three acres or so in size, and for the most part is a jungle of bramble, with a few trees an

The first occupants . . .        

Aye, the good news is that after a bit of a paddy, I've sat myself down and i'm pretty sure I can think my way around it.   We're building a barn after all . . . .   I'll stop being a fanny now

Posted Images

Aye i've got a few experiments I want to try, it's just a bit of a project really, as I don't intend to be round here forever . . . . but who knows.

You know you're welcome to come down whenever mate, come have a mooch about the estate with the mutts, and meet the pigs. I'll pick your brains.

Eventually hope to have some goats/sheep as well, couple of bee hives, pond, veg garden, poly tunnel etc.

What is going to be kept in the pole barn mate .....

Poles. :laugh:

No, I basically need a place I can store feed, hay, straw, and also a place where I can get the breeding sows in if we have a bad winter, and also to farrow. Also if I get a couple of sheep etc, I might need a place to lamb inside, or in the past i've taken orphan lambs from local farms and reared them on in pens, with bucket feeders.

And hey, might be a good place for a kettle, hammock and radio :thumbs:

• Like 6

If it's going to be used for animals the surely you are going to need walls mate and move away from the traditional pole barn ... Also ten foot tall is going to limit the amount of hay you can store ... Make it as big as you can ... Better to have to much space than not enough mate .........

• Like 3

If it's going to be used for animals the surely you are going to need walls mate and move away from the traditional pole barn ... Also ten foot tall is going to limit the amount of hay you can store ... Make it as big as you can ... Better to have to much space than not enough mate .........

Aye, the pole barn will be an adapted version, with walls, it has to be to keep the wind / rain out. Most likely either box profile, or tin sheeting, painted green.

The height being considered at the moment is a roof that slopes from about 9 foot at the front, back to about 12 foot at the back. I'd ideally like taller, but there are limiting factors . . . .

So i'm making it 30 feet (possibly more) long, and 20 foot (again, maybe more wide), with the ability to add more poles, and re wall it, to increase the size. It will pretty much be all hand done, using a petrol mixer, a chain saw, hand saw, shovel and some big feck off bolts, and a few nails. :laugh: Amish style :thumbs:

I can also get electricity to it ( I think) and have running water on the ground . . . .

I also found a spring today :thumbs:

Edited to add - I have a facility to store much larger amounts of hay / straw elsewhere, but not onsite, so as long as i could keep enough to last a while, and just restock it as needed, I should be ok :thumbs:

Edited by Ideation

Good luck with the project, it will be hard work of that there is no doubt, but your young enough and bright enough to see it through. I would have loved to do the same but circumstances did not allow.

I honestly wish you all the best with your project, there will be set backs, but I am sure you have the wit to overcome them. I will be following as I am sure so will many others.

TC

Good luck with the project, it will be hard work of that there is no doubt, but your young enough and bright enough to see it through. I would have loved to do the same but circumstances did not allow.

I honestly wish you all the best with your project, there will be set backs, but I am sure you have the wit to overcome them. I will be following as I am sure so will many others.

TC

Cheers T.C. :thumbs:

Well,as you say, i'm young and inventive, and i'm game to learn new skills, so we shall see. Also, the mrs is a great help :yes:

Already looking at plans for a smoke house as well :laugh:

Jai it sounds spot on mate and running water and electric is a massive bonus ... I wish you the best of luck .......

Aye, I uncovered a water trough under some brambles. . . . . and its connected to a pipe. . . which when i emptied the tank . . . .refilled it. So f**k knows who's paying for it . . . if anyone? No one has used the field in maybe 15 years, and I doubt there has been a bill in that time. . . . so fingers crossed :thumbs:

As for electricity . . . . . there is a line that runs through some near by woods, so i'll have to make some enquires.

I've also got my eye on a little piece of woodland thats sandwiched between my land and the road, it's privately owned, and not really used, so I might be able to convince him to part with it.

The land is in the middle of nowhere, no real neighbours, just farm land and the odd farm house. It also has access from the road :thumbs:

Cheers for the positive words, i'll keep you posted :thumbs: