see and hear curlews every year, a very eerie sound early mornings as for cuckoos, year before last was the last time i saw one, look very much like spars when flying in appearance but there flight patten is very different to a spar.

was taking a building down last week and while on the roof taking the tiles off i looked over and seen a bird sat on a chimney pot down the road that i would of put money on it was a spar but more i looked the more i could see it wasnt lol been doing my head in for a few days but read what you wrote here, googled it and found out id seen my first cuckoo in the flesh :) not heard one for a while tho but more than happy to see one :thumbs: Edited by clipo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

heard one at 9 tonight,we got one inside the clock in the kitchen

i had a german cuckoo clock sounded more like fook you ---- probly was been as it was made for the english market just after the war...

bosun last week i heard that shrill cry you describe, and looking up i saw 3 buzzards and 4 red kites all riding the same thermal, spiralling up one above the other. twas brilliant

That makes two of us then.

:clapper: Top f**king man!!! And, do ye find it almost compulsive? :D

What surveys ye do? I sort of started off ~ getting deadly serious ~ with GBW. That led me to researching the calorific levels of various feeds, till I could happily drive someone to suicide with my enthusiastic chatter about f**king peanuts, millet and hemp! :laugh:

Had a hand in most things since. Now have my C License and can barely handle seeing a bird without a ring on it. I consider them an affront! :rofl: Ringing ever appealed to you? I wanted to do it all my life. Now? It is my life! It's basically how I define myself.

I'm well into nest boxes too. People round here are in awe of the personal money I pump into buying up timber, to make the damn things with.

But, as someone pointed out; The owner of the timber yard would think nothing of paying out a grand or two on a new set of golf clubs. Because that's his hobby.

Yeah. To paraphrase Moley; 'I'm a Ringer and nest box fanatic who sometimes kills some shit to help redress the balance of nature' :good:

only ever heard the odd cuckoo here in lancs. last time bout 5 years ago. when I was a kid I used to see fields full of lapwings lifting off the ploughed earth. used to also see loads of culew. still see them now bur not as many. same with the pee wit's. still see them, but not in great numbers. buzzards are on the up. and I also saw a red kite near me. im seeing a few more sparrow hawks than I used to, but fewer kestrels. also fewer barn owls.

Lost me, Baw burger. Not hard right now though. My back just went and I've dropped a proscribed valium. Now, everything's moving in slow motion and I feel my thought process have about crashed to the level of a lobotomised retard.

RSPB buy land and kick the odd door in. BTO counts birds. That's all I'm trying to convey here. Right now? I think I'd get to three and forget what I was doing :laugh:

Wow! This is quite freaky. It's a bit like being a brain damaged, drunken quadriplegic. Nothing's functioning at all right, yet I'm totally aware of how poorly I'm performing.

Just scratched my eyebrow. What an effort That was :laugh: FFS!

. Great org the bto
  • Like 1

The cuckoo.

The cuckoo sits in the tall green grass,

It's wings folded tightly it's beak up its ass

Now in this position it can only say twit

For it's hard to say cuckoo with a beak full of

Anon

heard one at 9 tonight,we got one inside the clock in the kitchen

i had a german cuckoo clock sounded more like fook you ---- probly was been as it was made for the english market just after the war... :D

Edited by the_stig
  • Like 4

Lost me, Baw burger. Not hard right now though. My back just went and I've dropped a proscribed valium. Now, everything's moving in slow motion and I feel my thought process have about crashed to the level of a lobotomised retard.

RSPB buy land and kick the odd door in. BTO counts birds. That's all I'm trying to convey here. Right now? I think I'd get to three and forget what I was doing :laugh:

Wow! This is quite freaky. It's a bit like being a brain damaged, drunken quadriplegic. Nothing's functioning at all right, yet I'm totally aware of how poorly I'm performing.

Just scratched my eyebrow. What an effort That was :laugh: FFS!

Now you know how gonetoearth feels like on a daily basis :laugh:

Middle of April normally and from the south. There will be none here yet. They need caterpillars and insects to feed on

Now there's a man who knows what he's on about...... :victory: :victory:

Now there's a man pretending he knew too :victory:

• Like 1

Middle of April normally and from the south. There will be none here yet. They need caterpillars and insects to feed on

Silly boy.......

Fill your boots....while you can. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Silly boy.......

Fill your boots....while you can. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:D ohhhh sounds a bit threatening that, you becoming a mod again lol. Something I did want to congratulate you on was that song you did on the mark brick thread :laugh: it was blocked before I could answer, respect where respect is due, I thought that was quality :D and no, I ain't brown nosing you cos I think you might be a mod, bit too little too late for that eh :laugh:

Think im lucky here. I see lapwings and curlews virtually every day im out and about.

Im sure i heard a cuckoo last week, i even wrote on facebook that i was having a great day mole trapping and metal detecting and had heard a cuckoo and a woodpecker when id taken my earphones off, though now im questioning myself seen as no-one else has !!!