• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

heard one at 9 tonight,we got one inside the clock in the kitchen

i had a german cuckoo clock sounded more like fook you ---- probly was been as it was made for the english market just after the war...

bosun last week i heard that shrill cry you describe, and looking up i saw 3 buzzards and 4 red kites all riding the same thermal, spiralling up one above the other. twas brilliant

I used to hear them regular up and down the Aire Valley a few years ago,spring was heralded around here by the curlew,lapwing and cuckoo,plenty of curlews,the fecking kites have lessened the lapwing and the cuckoo is no more.

Curlews are now just about considered extinct, as an inland breeding species, round here. Well; Pretty much everywhere, to be honest.

Lapwings? Dunno. Generally said to be on the decline, on the big picture, due to agricultural practices (But, hey! Why accept that, if ye can blame a hook beaked scavenger! F**k science when ye can spew a bit of emotive vitriol)

Cuckoo? Few years ago I had three in my view, all at the same instant.

Year after, two showed up. Last year it was the one.

Doesn't bode well, does it? Especially if people as widely spaced are reporting similar :no:

Re-introduction programme at Harewood with the kites and how successful its been,for the kites,same farming practice in the vicinity over the duration of the programme,the almost annihilation of the lapwing in the same area over the same period,when emotive vitriol gets in the way of science,facts and a re-introduction programme,well?.

Loads of lappy here pete and seen curlew passin over On the coast

Troglodyte lappys? Company for ye, mate! :laugh:

Seriously though ~ where ever you are; This whole " I see loads of them " thing is just what I mean't, when I mentioned " The Big Picture ".

I expect to see a dark skinned person perhaps ..... I dunno. Once a month? Because, I only leave my own patch once a week. And I then only go to a very small, rural town. So, that's my perception of dark people. Rocking horse.

However, what if I lived in Birmingham ....? :icon_eek:

See, anyone in Brum could be forgiven for thinking the entire f**king country is inundated with such people. They may even be forgiven for thinking mine is too.

My own observations would definitely counter that assumption though. I could smile and assure you the f**kers aren't here ;)

Oh no? Take a trip to the next county. They have what's bordering on a tiny little city there. And (I happen to have seen it) there's virtually a dark skinned person on every street corner.

See how it all inverts, with our limited little views of the world though? The lapwings you see might be the last 300 lapwings on earth. The twenty, dark skinned, people I saw could be the only ones in the western hemisphere.

Who do each of us believe then?

Personally, I tend to err towards the body that draws in the reported experiences of thousands, if not millions of little Gonetoearth's and Pete's. Spread right across the lands. Looking for and counting birds in every pocket. Sending in their findings, year on year.

Frankly? I just find that more compelling than simly glancing out my window. It's actually part of the reason ringing birds fascinates me so much. It enables us to quantify, exactly, what the feathery little buggers are up to.

Don't let the devious little f**kers fool ye with their apparent shows of strength! :D

Oh; And those 'Lews flying in? I've watched then sitting, mate. Only to watch the nest being " Rolled " the very next day.

Morton; Please just bring something to the table, to prove it wasn't naturally occurring radon gas, or what ever, that wiped the lapwings.

In fact; I'd appreciate Anything, beyond some words tapped out on a forum, to demonstrate the accuracy of your, seeming, assumption.

Not looking for an argument here. Just some acceptably solid back up.

I'm 'sorry' if my attitude sounds 'boring'. Only, I've found empirical Science has made so many monkeys of my own, life long held ideas, I just crave the real shit.

Loads of lappy here pete and seen curlew passin over On the coast

Troglodyte lappys? Company for ye, mate! :laugh:

Seriously though ~ where ever you are; This whole " I see loads of them " thing is just what I mean't, when I mentioned " The Big Picture ".

I expect to see a dark skinned person perhaps ..... I dunno. Once a month? Because, I only leave my own patch once a week. And I then only go to a very small, rural town. So, that's my perception of dark people. Rocking horse.

However, what if I lived in Birmingham ....? :icon_eek:

See, anyone in Brum could be forgiven for thinking the entire f**king country is inundated with such people. They may even be forgiven for thinking mine is too.

My own observations would definitely counter that assumption though. I could smile and assure you the f**kers aren't here ;)

Oh no? Take a trip to the next county. They have what's bordering on a tiny little city there. And (I happen to have seen it) there's virtually a dark skinned person on every street corner.

See how it all inverts, with our limited little views of the world though? The lapwings you see might be the last 300 lapwings on earth. The twenty, dark skinned, people I saw could be the only ones in the western hemisphere.

Who do each of us believe then?

Personally, I tend to err towards the body that draws in the reported experiences of thousands, if not millions of little Gonetoearth's and Pete's. Spread right across the lands. Looking for and counting birds in every pocket. Sending in their findings, year on year.

Frankly? I just find that more compelling than simly glancing out my window. It's actually part of the reason ringing birds fascinates me so much. It enables us to quantify, exactly, what the feathery little buggers are up to.

Don't let the devious little f**kers fool ye with their apparent shows of strength! :D

Oh; And those 'Lews flying in? I've watched then sitting, mate. Only to watch the nest being " Rolled " the very next day.

. Fook me what the fook you been smoking

we normally get cuckoos mid-april. last year was one of the best ever round here, one afternoon i watched 6 displaying and chasing each other from tree to tree and could hear another two. lots of lapwings, flocks of 300+ over the winter and many fields hold breeding pairs. not seen a curlew local. skylarks have decreased over the past 3-4 years though. (i'm talking within a mile radius of my house)