Longnet Help

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stop Your 30ft ,, You will end up with a parcel of shite !! ,, Trust me .. There's an old saying " the finer the mesh , the better killing net"   Regards ..

I ain't sharing drops with nobody lol not even my lamping or ferreting partners lol. Fook even the kids will have some job finding them when old enough lol     Practice,practice and then practice s

I am constantly looking for new drops when the wife is driving I am like a bloody owl in the passenger seat head spinning around looking over hedges, Trying to first find rabbits then suss the terrain

question for tc I like the look of that needle you are using to put the selvedge on that net whare did you get it cheers aidy

I make them. They are a copy of the Norwegian or Loomis style of needle. been using that style of needle for about 30 years. You can get the loomis needle off of Nigel at Agouti nets.

http://agouti-nets.co.uk/product/54-7x3-4-loomis-net-needle

TC

• 2 months later...

How long is a piece of string?

Nearly all my ferreting is hedgerows, so all my stop nets are 5 or 6 yards long as that is all that I need. Yet when i was bushing with the pointer and nets they would be between 10 and 25 yards long. different situations call for different length nets. If you could be more specific as to your needs then perhaps someone could advise accordingly.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • 4 weeks later...

hi again got another question when knitting a long net I get quite far into it and the last 3 meshes are just starting to stretch a little bit on every row its not a lot but it bothers me a lot can any one recommend a way to stop this happening before I start my next long net cheers aidy

hi again got another question when knitting a long net I get quite far into it and the last 3 meshes are just starting to stretch a little bit on every row its not a lot but it bothers me a lot can any one recommend a way to stop this happening before I start my next long net cheers aidy

It happens to nearly everyone, the reason it happens is not holding the mesh board square 90 degrees to your net when knitting the first few meshes of every row. What happens then because the mesh board is at an angle, the meshes are ever so slightly longer and after a few rows it begins to show.

If it happens again, make a row of slightly longer meshes to even the row up. Then make sure that the mesh board is square when you start a row.

TC

Do you mean use a bigger mesh board for one row then go back to the original one cheers tc

No use the same size mesh board just make the meshes the same size as the end meshes. Or this does work sometimes on the end meshes make a double knot on the last three meshes until they come even again.

TC

Edited by tiercel

yeh like tc says get the board square to the net and don,t knit too long keep the net tight while knitting.ie do 30 meshes then tie it back.i also find that if the mesh gets a little bigger i just double or treble the knotts to bring them back in line but hey i,m only a novice but it seems to work for me lol