Longnet Help

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stop Your 30ft ,, You will end up with a parcel of shite !! ,, Trust me .. There's an old saying " the finer the mesh , the better killing net"   Regards ..

I ain't sharing drops with nobody lol not even my lamping or ferreting partners lol. Fook even the kids will have some job finding them when old enough lol     Practice,practice and then practice s

I am constantly looking for new drops when the wife is driving I am like a bloody owl in the passenger seat head spinning around looking over hedges, Trying to first find rabbits then suss the terrain

got it got Harold wyman jon huchins and one or two others thanks for your reply mr wilkes thought this forum was full of like minded peopel dosent seem that way to me lol thought that's how info got passed down

atb sj

Edited by sprockerjay

This may seem crass but, IMHO it is the best way to learn. I am talking about night time netting in the traditional style.

There are two parts to long netting, running a net out, and the field craft side of netting. One is reliant on the other so both parts have to be mastered. Setting a net is the easy part any competent netter could teach you the basics on how to set a net in half an hour. The other part takes a bit longer, about a lifetime. ( I have been netting for over 25 years and am still learning.)

Have a go your self, you will remember a lot easier what works for you and what does not. Don't be afraid to make cock-ups thats how most of us learn.

For ferreting in the day apart from the correct place to set the net you only need to learn how to set a net out, and pick it up so that it is ready to shoot, half an hour job.

So get yourself out into a field and have a go.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 1

got it got Harold wyman jon huchins and one or two others thanks for your reply mr wilkes thought this forum was full of like minded peopel dosent seem that way to me lol thought that's how info got passed down

atb sj

i think the problem is your location. i would expect most of the netters have a decent idea if were the netters are logisticaly and i dont think there is a regular poster trad netting near you..

could be wrong it seams a regular thing for me

Didn't you know it is a "secret art" that no one talks about :laugh:.. type in what you want to know in the search bar and there are some excellent threads on the subject :thumbs:.

Many a true word spoke in jest Mr Wilkes.

Many years ago when the towns and villages were, through lack of transport not as accessible as they are now. Most of the long netting would be done in the netters own locality. We all know that good sets are few and far between and without transport the netter would be confined to a few miles radius of his village. This is the question, would you share your drops / sets with anyone family apart knowing it would reduce the numbers of rabbits available to you?

I think this is where the assumption that long netting was a secret art arose from, as anyone who practised long netting was just not, on a self preservation basis, willing to share his bounty.

Just my take on the subject.

TC

• Like 1

With DVDs and books its a lot easy now, than it used to be, i come from a small town, and when i was young you could count the netters on one hand, and they would show you nothing.

it was more or less a closed shop, but i was lucky as one took me under his wing, and taught me working the traditional nets.

• Like 2

I ain't sharing drops with nobody lol not even my lamping or ferreting partners lol. Fook even the kids will have some job finding them when old enough lol

Practice,practice and then practice some more lol

Edited by Hot Meat
  • Like 3

Nice and steady away mate,drop it in day light somewhere where people will leave you quiet,and do this a couple of times a week till you are very quick and most of all proficient at it,then move on to darkness drops first on a evening right on dusk,just practicing,then into the night,once you can do this then pick a windy as hell day,and do the same,after a very short space of time you will sort it,you will get things ordered in your mind,so much so you will do it in a ink black night,no problems,the thing is prepare yourself think through what you do, make a map of the ground you will be dropping on and,put a arrow for true north,then watch the weather forecast the devil is in the detail,when the winds right go,but don't go too often,and wise your rabbits up,mark the main hedges and check how clear you drop line will be,you don,t want any briar's or self seeded black thorn, to catch your net when its dropped, take your time and study your field craft its no good dropping a net in the dark,with the mind up your arse,whistling like a canary,trust me the achievement of doing it all yourself is really something you will enjoy,and to work with someone else can be infuriating to say the least,good luck start now and you will be well ready for the season,you will find long netters all have there own little ways,and at the end of the day you will find what works for you,

• Like 1

cheers for all the replies lads don't want to no ya drops just wanted some one to take me out on a football field or pach of grass to show me in the flesh so to speek av got loads of permission my self am not the kind of person that gets an invite out then stabs u in the back by trying to take your permission away from you thanks a lot for your replies atb sj

ps am suer that I will have more questions along my steep learning curve cheers

cheers for all the replies lads don't want to no ya drops just wanted some one to take me out on a football field or pach of grass to show me in the flesh so to speek av got loads of permission my self am not the kind of person that gets an invite out then stabs u in the back by trying to take your permission away from you thanks a lot for your replies atb sj

ps am suer that I will have more questions along my steep learning curve cheers

just ask them mate,people are naturally protective of there ground,but there's plenty of people who will help when they can,I would be surprised if someone local didn't step up and offer to show you the ropes

Have you got a net mate? What you want to learn, traditional net or quickest? A few weeks ago I'd a took you ferreting and shown you that way, but our season has stopped now. I'm about an hour away but that's some drive to set a net in a field a few times, however if nobody closer offers I'll show you how to drop and lift a traditional net

Edited by Hot Meat
  • Like 2

av not got on yet thinkin of making one to be ready for next season just the starting knot dose me nut in dida row on a big split ring then slid it of just to see if the knot stayed together but it just came loose teathing problem they always stay tight on my purse nets thanks for the offer hot meat might take u up on that when av got me own nets

atb sj

Can't help you with knots I'm afraid lol I've never knitted a net in me life lol I'll keep buying them off the experts lol few folk on here I imagine will be able to help you with the Knott tho, unless its just a knack to it, I don't know lol