Mount Clearance - Medium Or Low

Just been to collect new scope guy in shop said I'd need medium mounts with nikon being a bit bulky on front end, it's only 3-9x40.

Just got home and fitted it and looks a bit high compared to previous set up I had, I prefer them as close to barrel as possible.

Do you think id get away with low mounts ?

And do you think it's positioned to high ?

post-87750-0-49409200-1395922029.jpg

• Like 1

Yes that's too high, the scope objective should almost touch the barrel, sportsmatch 'low' should do it.

I would get the reach forward version as well as this gives you more options to get the eye relief spot

on, also if a rifle has iron sights fitted (yours doesn't) the stock is made to get eye alignment level with the

sight plane, so high mounts mean you can't ever get the cheek weld position right, not so bad when

shooting prone but no good when standing.

You can use your set up ok, and you'll get used to it, but getting it 'right' will improve your shooting experience.

AndyF

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I think i might have done same thing.I've fitted scopes but thankfully haven't zeroed them yet.I've got BSA lightning se grt and have fitted hawke sport hd 3-9x40's but to me they also look abit high with hawke 2 piece medium mounts.so the closer the barrel the better with the front objective.I've fitted them on top of the scope block that came as standard with the gun.

could i remove the block with star keys and fit the scopes directly onto gun? To lower scope height?

Got to say it does look alot better,mine looks similar to yours before you altered it.I'll have to pull rifle out and take a look,i think there's a rail under block obviously the block is there just in case a scope with a larger objective lens is fitted? Is that right ? It says on BSA website its to dampen shock? I have tried to phone BSA today but no answer so I've email them to see if better without block.I'm glad i seen your thread

• 2 weeks later...

Got to say it does look alot better,mine looks similar to yours before you altered it.I'll have to pull rifle out and take a look,i think there's a rail under block obviously the block is there just in case a scope with a larger objective lens is fitted? Is that right ? It says on BSA website its to dampen shock? I have tried to phone BSA today but no answer so I've email them to see if better without block.I'm glad i seen your thread

got in touch with BSA technical dept and they said not to remove rail block,its there for purpose.also phoned a few RFD and they told me same answer. any one else got BSA lightning se grt and thought same thing?