Livebait???

I have used goldfish/shubunkins ,koi etc many times and caught on them,but as a regular bait they would be too expensive...I like a good sized livey,christ knows how much a half pound goldfish costs lol a pal of mine went to some catfish water in france years ago ,and the owner was using 5 and 6lb bream livebait of the back of a row boat :icon_eek: I have used them up to pound and a half and to be honest controlling them was a nightmare and the success rate on winding down was piss poor :yes: some of the old boys thought nowt of shoving 4 and even 6 trebles on a trace with a big bait :blink: What got me pondering all this was the other thread ,saying how liveys attracted too many jacks,Im happy to catch jacks whilst waiting for the bigguns,and was going to suggest to the op try a bigger livebait,and was wondering about others thoughts on the matter....I don't think bigger baits catch bigger pike specifically but they do reduce the attention of small pike,just to contradict what I just wrote ,I once caught a small jack 5lb ish on Loch Ken on a eel section,whilst unhooking it ,it coughed up a 12oz roach (still barely alive) and then ANOTHER similar sized tail appeared from its throat, 5lb pike....pound and a half of roach and an eel section in one sitting :icon_eek: ,anyone any experience of Big baits :hmm:

• Like 2

had a few jacks grabbed by bigger fish on the way in, never landed one to compare the size difference. Did catch a scraper double that had a big fresh bite clean across it, the big girls definitely chomp the jacks when spawning.

Edited by treecreeper

cant beat whats natural to the river or lake yer fishing,i know mackeral work but they aint native to rivers so a live roach or perch or whatever and yer cant go wrong! i think useing gold fish is cheating abit and to use a pet well come on wtf lol ide rather sit it out than use pet fish for bait plus yer dunno what parrasites yer may introduce to the water yer fish take a look what reintroductions has done to certain lakes in cumbria nearly made the vendace extinct and it aint helped its realtive the schelly (powen) or the char for that matter so yeah keep useing aquarium fish and knack the eco system up great! fish that have been devestaed by live baits getting off the hook are vencade,skelly (powen) and (arctic) char in both normal and deepwater form,tus caused by pike anglers bringing roach/rudd/ruffe etc... to the lake district useing them for livies for like and at the end of the day letting free the live fish that are no longer needed,not sure but hasnt the eeel had a parasite introduced to europe thru japanese eeels being imported to aquaculture and esacppees getting in to the european rivers systems,this is why it is very important to not introuduce fish from other waters to other waters,also the main reason for the Burbot being not introduced as the danish fish stock that was sent to melton mowbray collage at lecsetershire had a parrasite which could effect other species in britain on eastern flowing rivers which the burbot was native to slightly higher ranger than barbel going as far as the river wear where as barbel is the humber system,now burbot aint been here in the wild since the early 70s late 60s so by now the ecosystem has settled and our fish probly had the parrasite anyway so a reintorduction now could cause a dramatic impact on our native fish stocks same as wipeing ut zander they ahere so leave em be

but bringing live fish from pet shops to use as bait is one giveing anglers a bad name with the likes of the lacs and greenpeace or whoever also bringing fish from other waters is real bad as like a said yer can introduce parrasites which may have never been in the said body of water yer fishing,aslo yer copuld be bringing in a bad strain of fish to the lake river etc.....if yer fish were to get off or at the end of the day yer released yer live fish yer dont need and these bred which the would inevetably they could knack the genepool if the wrong pheno/genotypes were introduced very wrong and could cause dramatic problems very iresponsable indeed catch yer lives where yer gunna fish

Do you really believe that the only way an "alien" species could have been introduced is via pike anglers??? Regarding you cant beat whats already there....whats going to stand out more in a lake full of Roach for example,another Roach or say Carp,Perch etc,etc ??? :thumbs:

Edited by northern lad

Alright mate, :laugh: i used to love using crucian's, mainly because there was a little pond close by where i could catch a few when i needed them, but i do like to use grayling of the right size, plus i enjoy fishing for them.I have mainly used roach, like most pikers have (i think) and have caught mostly on roach, only because used the most, i used to use goldfish, but caught mainly jack's. Hope your doing well mate,i have'nt been on here much lately, just started carp fishing as the pike are spawning, i fish the same lake for carp aswell as pike and it's good to see some of the pike spawning. :thumbs:

• Like 1

just quoteing what the E/A said on there website about lives being used in the lakes,roach and ruffe aint native to the glacial lakes perch,pike,whitefish,trout,chars and sometimes salmon which spwan in for example ulswater are,not actually blameing all pike anglers for the introductions but it dont take a lot of roach to go awol once in the water,dont forget it only took 200 baby catfish to infest the river ebro in spain,pike hunt gennerally when a fish is stressed or injured so weather yer water yer fishing is full of what ever they will go for the weakest one surely, the general law of predators in nature? plus they is the risk of infecting the fishery when yer take fish from one water to another is bad practice full stop...i love me fishing, love me natural surroundings, and some of the very diverse fish species we have here in the north of england i wouldnt want to participate in spoiling it by takeing fish say from the Tees or somewhere then useing them for bait in say semerwater or windermere or ulswater,the introduction of fish like bream,roach and ruffe to the likes of haweswater and places like red tarn have seen the demise of very rare fish in the said body of waters as these species feed on the eggs of vendace and schelly which are both very endangered esp the vendace so why do such a drastic thing when yer can use a trout or small perch or something

just quoteing what the E/A said on there website about lives being used in the lakes,roach and ruffe aint native to the glacial lakes perch,pike,whitefish,trout,chars and sometimes salmon which spwan in for example ulswater are,not actually blameing all pike anglers for the introductions but it dont take a lot of roach to go awol once in the water,dont forget it only took 200 baby catfish to infest the river ebro in spain,pike hunt gennerally when a fish is stressed or injured so weather yer water yer fishing is full of what ever they will go for the weakest one surely, the general law of predators in nature? plus they is the risk of infecting the fishery when yer take fish from one water to another is bad practice full stop...i love me fishing, love me natural surroundings, and some of the very diverse fish species we have here in the north of england i wouldnt want to participate in spoiling it by takeing fish say from the Tees or somewhere then useing them for bait in say semerwater or windermere or ulswater,the introduction of fish like bream,roach and ruffe to the likes of haweswater and places like red tarn have seen the demise of very rare fish in the said body of waters as these species feed on the eggs of vendace and schelly which are both very endangered esp the vendace so why do such a drastic thing when yer can use a trout or small perch or something

I did say it was a hypothetical question and to ignore rules/regs regarding transporting of fish etc etc.... :rtfm: fook me you sound like John Craven :laugh: regarding general laws of predators ....I understand where your coming from,but can tell you from experience a different bait can/will out fish the norm sometimes :yes: Billy youre wrong un shoving trebles into "the lady of the stream" :tongue2::laugh:

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep,good bait Goldfish Pip...a bit on the expensive side for the larger ones though....that would raise some eyebrows,sat there with a bucket of jumbo Sarasa Comets :laugh: what sort of size would you prefer?

we have an old swimming baths full of different size fish nl and used to buy them from their for about £5 for a about 8 fish around the 3 to 4 inch range caught plenty of jack pike from the local park lakes and canals

A mate of mine knew a lad who worked at a garden centre a few years ago and he used to get the deformed and sick goldfish for nothing. He always swore that these were great pike bait, especially on the river when it was a bit coloured.

they are mart they usually catch when even the pike arnt really feeding