is st marys in the dumfries area sort of ? if so im sure thats where the vendace from the lake district has been rehomed, they were once present in two scotish lochs maben and someother loch might of been castle loch (correct me if im wrong) i went there for a look one day years back,when looking for hid lakes,ponds etc came across it seen a feller fishing for pike and one for bream,looked alright but the angler told me it was very shallow,seen a sign on the loch saying" vendace bend" or something,they were only present in 4 uk lakes two in scotland and two in the lake district cumbria,the scots population became extinct where as the lake district population hung on for dear life but was critical,they blame global warming,sedimeant,and introduced species the said lakes/loch ie: bream,roach,ruffe and other non native species to the lochs/lakes

anyway south durham going by yer name why not try the Wear at Durham theys some big massive pike in the wear at kepeir estates now i know yer might think omg ill never get on there yer dont have to cos she really aint go the bit from ferrens park durham to her private road she only got from the private road down over to her farm and the woods as she "claimed" the private road off the council they said she could have it long as she maintained it and made it public for dog walkers and horse ppl etc....they said public ammenaties! but she will argue to the death its hers anyway what i was gunna say was if yer go to the other side from kepeir pool below the steaks in the water,dont wade the river yerl upeset game anglers and her who owns the farm,drive round to the other side downstream from framwelgate waterside below the passport office park near prats taxis safe for yer car there very safe then walk the rest yer dont wanna park yer car in nowhere scramble down the bank takeing minimum tackle teh pike in this very small salmon pool are massive and very under fished,the wear has massive ammounts of lampreys running so maybe lampreys in low water,it also has loads of chubb of all sizes,so maybe a live bait,barbel but yer dont want to be killing them as yer have the barbel bashers on yer case,loads of dace,trout,eels i was a witness to a ilegal net being removed by the then national river authority (NRA) AND ITS HAD BREAM,CHUB,TWO SEA TROUT and a 3 pike the smallest being 24lbs summit the biggest being 32 summit there big fish,the only time yer ever see em is in the back eddy near her orchard and sometimes where the barbel anglers fish just on her private boundry,save traveling miles,also try the tees even this time of year long as yer dont fish the main river as its the close season at the minute but they is no season i dont think on canals which the tees at stockton has one or two which are pretty good for the piker well very good anyway biggest pike i heard of is 28lbs seen a few 20s the bigger pike tend be upriver a bit from thornaby thru to yarm and aislby..the tees has good number of pike in the lowewr reaches and still has a canny population through out to around the broken scar area,they is a lake/pond on butterby estate near croxdale,not sure who owns or has the fishing rights these days the was a rumour years back jack charlton thee woo jacky had the fishing rights but i never ever seen him as he was probly chucking a line out on the tweed,anyway its stuffed with em to about the 20lb mark try asking the owners or who ever, yer just never know if it not being leased yer may be able to set up a syndacate,if they wanna lease to yer that is we had a small stretch a few years back off a farmer in durham opposite kepeir estate down towards the woods cost us a gran for the year we had ten of us in it,one angler who was in for a short time was simon ashton who had the uk record for dace on the river wear,barbel record for the wear nigel collins at the time,we even got a invite well request off felling fly fishers asking if they could share our water as it was a proper pool for the shrimp (salmon) so we agreed and they of course shared there 2 mile stretch for our few hundred yard stretch near the famouse wear pool ban the bomb..........