Bipod - Yay Or Nay?

I know bipods have been discussed a lot in the past.. but It'd be great to know what people think atm - would a bipod be a good addition to my kit or would they make me a lazy shooter?

Also if you're on a bit of a budget are the cheaper ones alright? I know if you buy cheap you buy twice but surely with a bit of care and repair they'd survive and do the job, right?

so what if it makes you a lazy shooter! if it aids you in pullin off a steady clean kill it has served it purpose well, i use bipods on all my rifles. make it as easy as you can on yourself in my eyes! cheap vs expensive...... you get what you pay for but ive a cheapy on my 22lr and its perfect with years, :thumbs:

It depends on the type of rifle you are using, PCP great, springers, unless you are shooting from the prone with a real good bipod all the time, it's a waste of time as your recoil bounces the rifle and your point of aim will be different in other positions. I'm sure other people have experienced similar through trial and testing, Davyt and simon and other HFT shooters I think would agree.

• Like 1

It depends on the type of rifle you are using, PCP great, springers, unless you are shooting from the prone with a real good bipod all the time, it's a waste of time as your recoil bounces the rifle and your point of aim will be different in other positions. I'm sure other people have experienced similar through trial and testing, Davyt and simon and other HFT shooters I think would agree.

ive a bipod on a 25.06 mate with quite of recoil...... ive never had any bother and find a harris swivel bipod a great help at long range shots.

what is "the prone" by the way??

buy a bipod, put it on your rifle when you go to places that you can use the bipod, and guess what you can then take it off for places you don't need it or can't use it.

if your barrel is fully floating then it won't matter whether you have it on or not.

don't get a barrel mounted bipod for fuk sake, they are a toy. but it doesn't have to be caldwell or harris neither. there is £20 ebay bipods that will be fine for airguns.

what rifle do you have?

Edited by irishnut

Aye i would agree if im in doubt i try to lean on something but i dont think i would even put a bi pod on a pcp air gun

ive a bipod on a 25.06 mate with quite of recoil...... ive never had any bother and find a harris swivel bipod a great help at long range shots.

Spring air rifles recoil different to full bore rifles. If you think about it the spring pushed the piston which makes the pressure to push the pellet down the barrel at 600fps. So the recoil has started before the pellet even leaves the barrel at the relitivly slow speed compared to the full bore rifle where the only recoil is of the bullet leaving the barrel at 2000fps? Also the only direction the full bore rifle recoils is backwards whereas the air rifle goes back when the piston is pushed forward then forwards when it stops.

Spring air rifles recoil different to full bore rifles. If you think about it the spring pushed the piston which makes the pressure to push the pellet down the barrel at 600fps. So the recoil has started before the pellet even leaves the barrel at the relitivly slow speed compared to the full bore rifle where the only recoil is of the bullet leaving the barrel at 2000fps? Also the only direction the full bore rifle recoils is backwards whereas the air rifle goes back when the piston is pushed forward then forwards when it stops.

ohhh i see, that all sounds very techincal......... i didnt think there was fek all recoil off a pellet gun!! everyday is a learning day :thumbs:

I'm with woodcote on this . I made some out of old broom handle cut it to the size I wanted put a nut and bolt thought it with a washer between the sticks and a rope at the bottom ( to stop it for opening all the way ) and they fold down to go in my pocket and cost me nothing at all ..

:)

Just to explain the prone position (ex mob will know) it's lying flat on the ground with one knee drawn slightly out and up towards your waist (usually the same leg as the rifle in your shoulder) as this gives slightly more stability when pointing naturally at the target. From above it you could liken it to a line around a dead body (just the outline). I think Villaman done a post on shooting technique and he describes it in there.

• Like 1