Lesser Redpoll .....

:boogy: This little bugger started haunting my peanuts a few days ago. I mentioned him on the Irish Birds forum. Never had a 'Redpoll on peanuts before.

And, just now, I found the inevitable had happened!

Come To Daddy ....!

P3220146TN_zps95423150.jpg

:good:

• Like 2

Cock or hen Pete?

Absolutely no f**king idea, mate! Unofficially? I'd guess it was a female. It had no flush on the breast what so ever and not that much going on up top.

I don't even know if my boss can differentiate, out side the breeding season, to be honest. I certainly can't as they're not really on my radar. This is the first one I've ever caught myself. We've had them in the nets, but I don't recall what was made of those either.

Cracking little birds though. If I was allowed to keep natives, colour mutations of these would be my first port of call :yes:

You are ment to be able to tell by the chest feathers even on a first year bird,something about a cresant shape on them but i've treid to look but couldn't tell on a normal pair but impossible on a mutation without either waiting till the second moult or plucking and colour feeding them and even then it don't allways show..

[if I was allowed to keep natives, colour mutations of these would be my first port of call :yes:

Why are you not allowed to keep them?

As we all know Pete is a legal bird ringer,just imagine how much hassle he and his birds would get if he kept native birds as how many would believe he didn't just catch them with his traps,nets etc?.

• Like 1

Here, Fireman! I've just caught another one. This one Was a female ~ she had the beginnings of a brood patch.

Nice to see she had Golden feathers in her head red too. Really quite a few of them. I wonder; How would that go, for a domestic bird, on the show bench?

Perfectly natural in the wild. Is it acceptable in show birds? Just curious :)

Cute things, Tufts. They always tend to peep away quietly, in ye hand :)

I can't find a damn thing about this yellow on the head thing though. Wonder about that.

I must say, I prefer my birds pure ~ rather than mules or hybrids. But, some of these colour mutations are pretty cool. I've even seen shots of genuine, wild redpolls with large areas of snowy white plumage! :icon_eek: Absolutely stunning birds!

Oddly enough; Breed one like it and I wonder if it would get a look in at a show?

• Like 1

Cute things, Tufts. They always tend to peep away quietly, in ye hand :)

I can't find a damn thing about this yellow on the head thing though. Wonder about that.

I must say, I prefer my birds pure ~ rather than mules or hybrids. But, some of these colour mutations are pretty cool. I've even seen shots of genuine, wild redpolls with large areas of snowy white plumage! :icon_eek: Absolutely stunning birds!

Oddly enough; Breed one like it and I wonder if it would get a look in at a show?

Ive got a couple of house sparrows in the area that have a few white chest feathers.

All hen birds.

I had to double look when I first see them.

But nice to see them about.

TUFFTY

• Like 1