One Of My Last Days

having checked the books and deciding I need to catch up in a certain area as the rain had put me back, the location is good but they have horses and expensive ones and want rid of the deer but aware of the horses, so I have to arrange days in advance, 7 days were lost where I said I would be there and due to rain I couldn't go so I took advantage of the lovely weather we have had this week and set of at 4.30, I was driving down the lane and in the lights of my jeep could see about 25 deer in the field to my left, thinking this should be a good result I parked up and walked to the seat. in position I set to load and get ready, as day break hit I could see a bit of mist and the hedgerow to my left I saw a fallow walking towards the wood I face. then the sparkle of daylight and all looked good, as I did an impression of an owl I could see movement behind about 300 yds and hoped they would come my way, usually the westerly wind is good as it comes from the wood to me so I wouldn't be scented. we this morning there was not a whisper of wind so my scent was going to be picked up somewhere, covered from head to toe only a small hole for eyes I was happy I would get away with it.

Then out of the mist which seemed to be getting worse I could see a small group about 8 or 9 walking in my direction, as I slowly moved the rifle from across me to face them and flipped the lense covers off they were getting closer and at about 120 yds turned to my left went slowly across the field, walking grazing I could just make out the silhouette of each of them but not enough to take a good clear shot and watched as they disappeared into the mist as quick as they appeared. I placed the gun back sideways on the rest and continued with my sweep when I heard the grunt and slowly I turned my head back as much as I could to see a fallow behind me about 30ft stamping her feet and she ran letting the world know she had spotted me.

Then I could see a bit more as the mist seemed to go and I watched Mr Pheasant in the joining field walking along with his family of 4 hen birds why I thought ive got one and that enough, the crows were all making that noise as I watched a pigeon land some 20ft above and in front of me sharing the same tree as me, and then his mate joined him as he landed more above me and as he landed I saw this white liquid appear on the butt of my gun and start to run down, being really hygienic I used my sleeve to remove it and continued to survey the area, I had missed seeing the mist come back as I had been occupied elsewhere and did it come back, the hedge to my left where I saw the fallow earlier had disappeared and my visibility was about 80 - 90 yds.

Thinking the sun is not going to clear this and the time was approaching 9 am I was thinking it maybe time to call it a day when I saw a small group coming out of the mist some 100 yds in front, the gun was turned and they were walking closer and were still in the depths of the mist which was stopping me from seeing them clearly, as they walked one behind the other the first one stopped and the noses started to rise and the heads were doing an impression of a lighthouse, looking through the scope I could see the head clearly as they all spread out to give me a good view of them, knowing that was as close as they were going to be and due the fact they were not happy as the heads were moving I took the call to drop the one far left, as the crack echo out the herd all turned and ran in an instant, to be honest I didn't hear the usual thud and I doubted myself if I had scored a hit, I've not missed any this year and what a time to do it, looking through the scope I was trying to see any signs and nothing, I sat motionless for about 30 seconds watching the area, to be honest I wasn't exactly sure where it was and then I had a signal as a white leg stretched out amongst the reedy grass.

I stayed where I was for a further 15 mins before moving the old bones to descend the ladder to see my prize.

The first pic is from high seat as mist cut through

the second is a view from the ground looking out, like me you cant see the deer laying down.

Well thats me nearly done now, I don't usually go this late but im out today for the last time so we will see what the day brings, im down on last year but numbers and weather had a lot to do with that. I will have to make up for it next year.