My lurcher bitch is over due to come in to season.

She's 8 year old ,and I intend putti g her this time.

She is getting frisky at the minute tail going across when you touch her back,running up to the run to get to the male terrier, urinating over where he has etc,but as yet no out ward signs.

Usually this comes later with her after she's shown blood etc.

It may be me being impatient ,but can she have a season with out the outward signs of blood swelling etc.

She did have a jab a few years ago due to a mis-mating and developed a womb infection

But has been fine since although irregular

Any thoughts ? Many thanks Roy

• Like 1

Shes possibly having a silent season, it can happen a lot in younger dogs and some older ones as well,

you would need to watch out for womb infections, as dogs get older hormones lessen - at age 8 a dog is normally considered as

coming in to old age and everything starts to decrease, you would have to have a swab done to test when shes in full heat.

My old bitch used to have them, dogs would get interested in her but she wouldn't let any near her,

in the 8/9 years i had her i never once saw her have a proper season.

She's fit as a fiddle other than a recent broken toe,but I would have liked to do it a couple of years ago but never seemed to click with hunting seasons etc and only ever keeping one lurcher at a time,well it never happened.and would prefer to use an older experienced bitch that I know is proven. ATB Roy

• Like 1

She's fit as a fiddle other than a recent broken toe,but I would have liked to do it a couple of years ago but never seemed to click with hunting seasons etc and only ever keeping one lurcher at a time,well it never happened.and would prefer to use an older experienced bitch that I know is proven. ATB Roy

8 years old is fine i never bred my old bitch till she was 7 shes 14 now and still going strong

• Like 1

8 years old is fine i never bred my old bitch till she was 7 shes 14 now and still going strong

same as D Lloyd, i see no major issues with breeding off an 8year old bitch.

From experience ive known several bitches needing c-section that were in that age class .IMO a bitch should of have had a litter when in her prime rather than later to relax whatever needs relaxing lol. To expect a maiden bitch to of that age[if she is] to be in tip top condition reproductively is asking a bit much but what do i know .Crack on but be wary of overfeeding as she will find it extremely hard to lose at that age.

I understand what you are saying foxdropper :thumbs:

As far as I understand the hips fuse If they don't

have a litter by 4 Or 5 making It more risky.

No she hadn't had a litter,as at 4 or 5 I feel they mayBe havent proved themselves.

infact I gave her the jab at about that age as she had got with a dog by mistake.(something I'll never do again)

:thumbs: ATB Roy

Edited by roybo

My lurcher bitch is over due to come in to season.

She's 8 year old ,and I intend putti g her this time.

She is getting frisky at the minute tail going across when you touch her back,running up to the run to get to the male terrier, urinating over where he has etc,but as yet no out ward signs.

Usually this comes later with her after she's shown blood etc.

It may be me being impatient ,but can she have a season with out the outward signs of blood swelling etc.

She did have a jab a few years ago due to a mis-mating and developed a womb infection

But has been fine since although irregular

Any thoughts ? Many thanks Roy

i had a bitch that got caught unwanted ,gave her the jab ,lata ion in life took 2 litters from her both 11s,no problems atb bunnys