Old Plummer Terriers

I'm not slagging the Plummer as a terrier. I quite like them. What i do have a gripe with is the price tag and the "don't buy off so and so because their dog's are shite". All i want is a likkel dog that will work cover like a trooper , hunt a few rats, and maybe get the odd dig from. Not into keeping dogs just to breed off so that won't be an issue. Working ability above all else is what i require.

• Like 1

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i have no old pics of plummers or the crosses wm. none worth posting anyways. i was allways a russell man. through and through. i often wonder why i got into plummers. liked the look of them i suppos

Same child still around dogs,how time flies

Flint

Posted Images

I'm not slagging the Plummer as a terrier. I quite like them. What i do have a gripe with is the price tag and the "don't buy off so and so because their dog's are shite". All i want is a likkel dog that will work cover like a trooper , hunt a few rats, and maybe get the odd dig from. Not into keeping dogs just to breed off so that won't be an issue. Working ability above all else is what i require.

a plummer should suite u then.

a plummer should suite u then.

Yup it would mate. What doesn't suit me though is the in house back biting between different owners/breeders :laugh: Suppose 1 will pop up eventually :thumbs:

• Like 1

Price tagg ruins everything when working dogs ar involved......I no a lad who keeps plumers and the 5 he's got 4 are very good earth dogs and 1 what is medioca and he offerd me one of his pups for 250 with papers .....he's not a mate just someon I no ...one of his bitches is as hard as old nails and will probly lose her life doing what she loves..............10 f down in a deep hole with Charlie 5 inch in front of her..

She aint that hard if charlie is 5in in front of her,lol.

• Like 4

WC is all your stuff cross bred or do you have Pure stuff aswell?

I have a bitch from the early "new blood" stuff bred by Lacey that I've bred lots of pure bred stuff off, they are now on 3 generations of Plummer/Plummer 100% I also have some outcrosses that will be bred back to create a clean new line free of any faults, something Plummer did on a regular basis and forming a new gene pool, I would challenge anyone to tell which is which LOL's, is there really any pure breds anyway, they are all just a blend of terriers when do they become Plummers ?? is it when they get KC membership or when their coat pattern looks like one, WM

WC it's not bred by me if it's new blood as you say ? ,I have never had any of the last outcross blood in my kennels ,one of my old dogs covered an outcross bitch on the request of Brian Plummer ,may be your bitch comes down from that union but definately not bred by me , hope this helps

• Like 1

Stabba why not just get a Russell or Patterdale there's still plenty about and the right lads will probably give you a pup ?

If i was just going to out and out dig Lucky then a Pat would be my first choice. But as it is the vast majority will be pushing cover. The odd dig will be welcome but like i say..It will be the odd one :thumbs: .

Stabba, I'd just go for a crossbred... Cheap & cheerful.... Drop of this, drop of that.

That's what i'm gonna get when 'ol fat head goes up to his happy hunting ground, which may be sooner than I was bargaining for!!

I think even if I was gifted a Plummer, knowing my luck I'd get one that fly's to ground and stays there..! :laugh:

Is that Viper as in Welsh Viper out of Rocky and Alpha?

No it isn't...!!

Sorry didn't read the other posts stating the same! The dog in your ped is Welsh Viper that was owned by T.R.

Edited by Moorman 1
  • Like 1

nice to see them old types had one years ago got it of a mate in wigan who had the father he did not call them plumbers just russel types big red saddles and white legs his came from a hunt in wales that's why he called dog taffy dug to him all over the pup we had we dug all over the country and across the water every one that see him rated him died to ground aged 12 still doing it was like a pea from pod of those dogs in first couple of pages of this topic

• Like 3

WC is all your stuff cross bred or do you have Pure stuff aswell?

I have a bitch from the early "new blood" stuff bred by Lacey that I've bred lots of pure bred stuff off, they are now on 3 generations of Plummer/Plummer 100% I also have some outcrosses that will be bred back to create a clean new line free of any faults, something Plummer did on a regular basis and forming a new gene pool, I would challenge anyone to tell which is which LOL's, is there really any pure breds anyway, they are all just a blend of terriers when do they become Plummers ?? is it when they get KC membership or when their coat pattern looks like one, WM

WC it's not bred by me if it's new blood as you say ? ,I have never had any of the last outcross blood in my kennels ,one of my old dogs covered an outcross bitch on the request of Brian Plummer ,may be your bitch comes down from that union but definately not bred by me , hope this helps

I'm sorry I did not put it very well and yes she was bred through that union, atb, WM

nice to see them old types had one years ago got it of a mate in wigan who had the father he did not call them plumbers just russel types big red saddles and white legs his came from a hunt in wales that's why he called dog taffy dug to him all over the pup we had we dug all over the country and across the water every one that see him rated him died to ground aged 12 still doing it was like a pea from pod of those dogs in first couple of pages of this topic

put a pic up mate if u have 1 :thumbs:

sorry mate aint got any pics but he was a good dog only stood 13 inch could get anywhere and had the nick name of the detective as he found in big places where others had failed. his dad died to ground as well at a good age mate was down to us for a dayout dug 5 with him on the one banking all single digs on last one broke though dog was dead suffocated sad day put him across a very good russel bitch I had at the time first litter kept the lot none made the grade secocd litter 4 pups only 1 made it which I kept never got full back ground of dogs as mate just said he got it of hunt in wales but double of those 3 dogs standing in back of motor

• Like 3

usual suspects spoiling what was an interesting thread. by genuine enthusiasts of the working qualities of this breed.. no wonder folk dont post. Darcy. you seem to pop up on most plummer threads.. with little short worded jibes. . for a man with many books you would think you could string a few words together about your own dogs and exploits with them. for this section. what are you working at the moment. J D. AND HOW IS YOUR SEASON GOING. YIS.

• Like 3