Terrier Inbreeding

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Inbreeding is quiet natural in a lot of species. When you see a red stag with his harem are you telling me that some of those hinds are not his daughters or even grand daughters. It's a known fact

This is closer than most terrier people would ever go. But this dog performed and produced. His Sire is a 1/2 brother sister breeding and Dam is father to daughter breeding. Bred together they were g

This is what happens when you breed to close the fcuking ''Stamp'' of them lot ,,,,, fighting terriers the lot at 1 min hahah ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTLWcMAqyLU

After how many planned pairings of dogs,and litters produced, roughly does one consider it takes to create a line of there OWN?,i know some think they have a line after breeding two related dogs together,which isn't the case,and the majority are just following someone elses line

,i know its a' how long is a piece of string' question, but approximately,if the dogs are not bred off until tried and tested properly and the same with there offspring, it would take decades I would imagine.

it will take decades smasher.I've used dogs and bitches from only 3 professional terrier men over 15 years and the one bitch wasn't bread till she was 6yrs old and fully proven over 5 season's,I put a dog over her and kept a

Bitch,used the same dog over another good bitch and kept a dog so in years to come if all stays right I'll mate half brother to half sister.dogs just done a full season with the local hunt and all is good so far.many of the surplus pups have gone on to do well with the lads who had them so I hope I've got it right.I'm still not interested in calling it my line just want to see dogs produced that graft well.

• Like 1

What one must consider is this,inbreeding brings the best and the worse out of the cross. I like a tight, family bred terrier myself. They tend to well rounded if they were bred towards the right traits and the seem to come more consistent. A brother x sister cross is inbreeding. You can get away with it if the Terriers,are not too closely related throughout the lineage. Better like what you have in the breeding pair because you are about to (what I refer to as) lock the good and bad traits in with a breeding as such.

Edited by lonespade
  • Like 1

Great post Neil,

it confirms the most fervent belief of THL terrier breeders, "Breed 'em tight"

But the devil is in the details, Frankel the greatest ever race horse was scatter bred. Oh SHIT!!!! (only 7 common ancestors in a 5 generation pedigree of 62) http://www.pedigreequery.com/frankel3

It's a interesting example though? Probably more to do with one mans genius and ability to see something different to everyone else when looking at an animal. Vincent O'Brein from Cork :thumbs: was the guy over 50 years ago that decided that the Northern Dancer horse would dominate flat race breeding. He got as much cash together as he could to buy up every son of Northern Dancer that he could. Northern dancer was scatter bred too!

But since 1994 the male bloodline of every Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe winner goes back to Nearco, his son Nasrullah, and his grandson Northern Dancer.

Goto keep and open mind and if you got a good dog breed like hell off him.

double cross of northern dancer is usually a recipe for horse burgers-hes so prevelant in pedigrees world wide that some are bound to be good

https://ddink55.wordpress.com/?s=northern+dancer

Edited by tinytiger