Man On Death Row For 30 Years Walks Free

"My sons -- when I left -- was babies. Now they grown men with babies," he said, speaking as a free man for the first time in nearly three decades.

Ford, Louisiana's longest-serving death row prisoner, walked free Tuesday after spending nearly 30 years behind bars for a murder he did not commit.

"My mind's going all kinds of directions, but it feels good," Ford, 64, told reporters outside the Louisiana State Penitentiary at Angola, according to CNN affiliate WAFB.

One reporter asked whether he harbors any resentment.

"Yeah, because I was locked up almost 30 years for something I didn't do," said Ford, who wore a denim shirt, a hat and dark-rimmed glasses.

"Thirty years of my life, if not all of it," he said, WAFB reported. "I can't go back."

According to the Capital Post Conviction Project of Louisiana, a judge ordered that Ford be freed Monday after prosecutors petitioned the court to release him.

New information corroborated what Ford had said all along: that he was not present at nor involved in the November 5, 1983, slaying of Isadore Rozeman, the project said.

"We are very pleased to see Glenn Ford finally exonerated, and we are particularly grateful that the prosecution and the court moved ahead so decisively to set Mr. Ford free," said Gary Clements and Aaron Novod, Ford's attorneys.

They have argued his trial was compromised by the unconstitutional suppression of evidence and by inexperienced counsel.

Ford had been on death row since 1984, making him one of the longest-serving death row prisoners in the United States.

"After 30 years, Louisiana's longest-serving death row prisoner will get his freedom soon," Amnesty International USA senior campaigner Thenjiwe Tameika McHarris said in a statement shortly before his release.

"Glenn Ford is living proof of just how flawed our justice system truly is. We are moved that Mr. Ford, an African-American man convicted by an all-white jury, will be able to leave death row a survivor."

Can you imagine going on death row as an innocent 35 year old and spending 30 years under that pressure. He should get everything he wants from Louisiana for free for the rest of his life.

• Like 3

Poor b*****d similar thing happend to my father he served 18 years for a murder he didn't commit he served he's sentence and 6 months after he's release he's conviction was overturned and he got an apology letter think that's why I have no faith in the justice system

A black guy being judged in Louisiana? Hardly surprising he didn't get a fair trial!

Exactly my own point, mate. Murder or what ever goes down, down south? Some f**ker's gonna fry for it. And that f**ker will sure as eggs be black.

Even if it did happen at a KKK AGM. A black man will have done it.

poor f****r, happened far to many times and no amount of compo will sort out the head f**k of being bang up for 30yrs with nothing but the chair to look forward to!

always felt sorry for this poor f****r as well, done 16yrs for the sexual assault and murder of a child. died a yr after being freed after it was medically proven beyond doubt he could not be guilty. you can be sure he'd have hng had the option been there...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Lesley_Molseed

Yokel

As a Pro (execution) guy who has spent years on pro death forums defending capital punishment (also been outside Huntsville, Texas while my friend was inside witnessing her daughters murderer die), even Im appalled by this. And I am (slowly) coming to think im wrong in supporting it (hope no Antis ((executions)) are reading this lol :laugh:

• Like 1

As a Pro (execution) guy who has spent years on pro death forums defending capital punishment (also been outside Huntsville, Texas while my friend was inside witnessing her daughters murderer die), even Im appalled by this. And I am (slowly) coming to think im wrong in supporting it (hope no Antis ((executions)) are reading this lol :laugh:

There is no doubt some people deserve to be put to death ,but with a corrupt and inept judicial system ,how will we ever be sure whos guilty ,

The Birmingham 6 ,the Guildford 4 , the Renault 5 would all have been unjustly executed in this country had we still kept the death penalty.

• Like 1

If you totally support the death penalty. . . . . .

Then it means you have total and absolute faith in both our government and our legal system.

Which would make you. . . . . . . . a little foolish.

• Like 2

The other strange thing that everybody is missing on this thread,,,,,,is the timescale ,,,we know it's not unusual to be on death row 10 years,,,,,,,but how come it was 30 years? That to me seems very odd,,,,how come he wasn't executed years ago...

Poor b*****d you got to feel for him

• Like 1