A Taste For Killing?

I have a 12 month old springer, I've been doing as much training with him up to the point where I thought we were doing well, he was stopping on the whistle and recall was going well. However, I've recently moved house and bought myself some pet chickens which are in their pen for a certain amount of time then I let them roam free for the rest of the day. My springer has always been interested in them but I've never let him go near them off his lead. I was recently out for a walk with him, was a good 10 minutes from home and he decided to bolt off, despite me calling him and using the recall whistle he did not come back to me, after following him I realised he had ran home, caught and killed one of my chickens and injured 2 more who then later died. He would not come to me and I had to corner him where he eventually had to give up his kill. I punished him but he was looking very proud of himself which I suppose he would be.

My question is, how can I knock this out of him and will he now have developed a taste for killing? I've got plans to use him to take beating with me, he's great at flushing and always comes back to me when told if he flushes a pheasant out in the woods. I just don't want this dog to now think that it is acceptable to kill birds and not come when told. What if he bolts off and kills an injured pheasant if we're out beating in the future? I would love any advice to help us out as I'm feeling very let down by him. Thanks!

• Like 1

Ideally by 12months the dog should have been introduced to livestock and be steady, I would let him near the chickens on a lead and make him sit, when he moved towards them I let him know its not on. I would do this until you can drop the lead and walk around without him moving. I had a similar problem with my sprocker and rabbits, he was sound around feather but my lack of access to fur meant he would chase bolted rabbits, eventually managed to get him a rabbit pen and with an afternoon he was spot on.

farther inlaw had bother with his collie having ago at the farm chickens it killed one so he belted it with the dead chuck it never had out to do with chickens again it wouldn't even look at the chucks :yes:

• Like 2

Go back to basic and steady her until you feel that you can trust her with the chickens around. This may take time but keep with it. Little and often and she will start to trust you and you start to trust her.. its just a matter of patience and things will go your way ...

good look with her and dont give in ...

As for the size 10 well that is just stupid...

If a dog gets something in its head no amount of stop whistle or calling will get thru I would have bolted up after him roaring and blowing the whistle grabbed him by the scruff still blowing the whistle and made sure he knew that he royally f****d uuuuup

• Like 1

For so many good post on here and fantastic replies to posts to read such comments as - use training collar, kick it, hit it with a dead chicken- is so disappointing .

Dogs are what we make them kick the owner not the dog

Plenty good dogs have had a kick up the arse or a skelp with the thing they've killed. Not be the first, not be the last.

Maybe not your style but for others it works.

Id put money on some of the best dogs in the country have had a few 'tellings off".

• Like 1

Plenty good dogs have had a kick up the arse or a skelp with the thing they've killed. Not be the first, not be the last.

Maybe not your style but for others it works.

Id put money on some of the best dogs in the country have had a few 'tellings off".

If it works it works...both of mine have had a few slaps over the years, have learnt from their mistakes and don't do it anymore. Just like you might belt a kid for misbehaving.

Can't see the harm :thumbs: