Alternative Set-Up For Running Lines

Joonsy

Tc's suggestion of braiding onto a purse net ring you decided against because of the potential noise problem, a lambing ring or section of inner tube would eliminate the noise potential imo

There is absolutely no need to add anything at all, adding any type of ring does not improve or change the sysyem in any way whatsoever, there is simply no noise problem at all with just two interlocking cord loops. i am all for beneficial change but adding something just for the sake of it which does not change the system in any way at all is just creating extra unneccessary work and trying to resolve a problem that doesn't exist, also don't forget that as loops naturally rotate in use wear is always distributed onto different parts as well.

in your quote you mentioned when you first tried this method you used a purse net ring and you felt it had the potential to jangle metal on to metal,therefore my suggestion would eliminate this potential would it not? As for the loops naturally rotating it would not interfere with that in anyway

Y.I.S Leeview

having read this again i see that some trad netters must fix the nets in the corners, i did not realise people did this, i do not as any think anything fixed is on the way from not being what i see as a traditional net and a step closer to being a quick set. but thats a different topic

Smithie,

There are pro's and cons to tying in the first and last meshes to a line. Some do, some don't, I tie my meshes in on one line only every 5 yards, I find that it keeps the bag in place and allows me to set and pick up a net without the need to re-arrange the bag of the net as it is always there. By tying in on one line only it does not matter whether you set the tied in line as a headline or foot line.

I have read a lot about where the net is tied in being a magnet for trapping meshes where the wind blows the meshes over the knot, I honestly do not get that problem as with 5 yard spacings my pegs are usually pretty close to the tie. Another factor of tying in on one line only, is that should you get a bitten line the rest of the net is free to float through the meshes and self equalise.

What a lot of people do not realise is, that when you set a net you are restricting the meshes ability to run along the lines by way of trapping the bottom line on the ground. As with most things netting there is no definitve way of setting up a net you do what experience has taught you works for you.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 1
  • 4 years later...