Your Thought Guys On The Ammo 17Hmr

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Blowing eye sockets apart isn't the way to stop them. If you must put one in their head try here............   He stood there looking at me, that little dark spot on the top of his nose between

I struggle to see how anyone can have the balls to come on a public shooting forum and admit such incompetence.  You were either aiming in the wrong place or outside of the rifles comfort zone.  

The hmr can and will kill a fox humanely, sometimes, but it is not the ideal go to fox shooting round, the problem I think stems from, as said earlier the man who has been used to airguns, who gets h

Posted Images

I've read up on this. It hasn't happened to me yet but I keep a rod in the bag. From what I gather the case cracks before firing and then causes damp in the powder. This causes the powder to not ignite and only the firing cap to go off, only propelling the bullet a few inchs into the barrel

I've read up on this. It hasn't happened to me yet but I keep a rod in the bag. From what I gather the case cracks before firing and then causes damp in the powder. This causes the powder to not ignite and only the firing cap to go off, only propelling the bullet a few inchs into the barrel

That is certainly possible and can indeed happen, but the obvious question has to be asked if that is the case, "what conditions are you storing your ammo in?"

I have never had a problem with split cases and I have had loads.

Probably more likely is no primer in the rim, or no powder in the case! :thumbs:

Hi Deker,

The Ammo lives in the ammo safe indoors, normal domestic conditions. I think the primer must have worked to push the bullet into the barrel. The powder seems to be clagged together and didn't fall out all over the place like last time. As the rabbits in the fridge testify, the rest in the batch seem OK.

Has anyone any thoughts or opinions on the .17WSM and .17 Hornet?

Looking up they seem a very good fox round

.17 WSM looks very promising especially for those whose forces won't grant centre fire initially. Ballistically it's very similar to .22 Hornet at range for energy and has better wind drift and drop characteristics. So far as I'm aware though, it's still not in the UK. Being rimfire its cheap to shoot though which suits those who don't homeload.

Compared to Hornet (both 20 gr rounds)

Hornet Muzzle Energy: 592

WSM Muzzle Energy: 400

Hornet 200yd Energy: 294

WSM 200yd Energy: 199

Hornet Muzzle Velocity: 3650

WSM Muzzle Velocity: 3005

Hornet 200yd Velocity: 2574

WSM 200yd Velocity: 2070

(Taken from Google results)

So .17 Hornet trumps WSM as you'd expect being a CF cartridge, although having said that, there's no that much in it at all really.

.22 Hornet, on the other hand, is very very similar after 200yds (due to its greater drag, windage and drop).

I can see WSM replacing HMR as the rimfire of choice for longer range.

This explains the differences between it and HMR and WMR:

Edited by Alsone