Alano's Do They Still Use Them To Hunt ?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Them dogos on the video that was posted up here not so long back didn't do very well on that boar in a pen lol .........

There's a decent vid of a load of boar dogs with a massive boar in a river, all barking and holding it against the bank, this goes on for about fifteen mins, with none of the dogs being game enough to

As above, I know they used them to work on cattle+bulls, from what I read , but some were used for wild boar as well. Just wonder if the used today for any kind of work at all, or are they just pets+g

I don't think you can even get hold of dogos here in the uk because there in the dangerous dog act I've seen them abroad though. Are alanos in the same category? I would love to see some in the flesh.

no not as yet, there not on the d/d list, but they prob get in the wrong hands like the pits did, and end up on there .?

I don't think you can even get hold of dogos here in the uk because there in the dangerous dog act I've seen them abroad though. Are alanos in the same category? I would love to see some in the flesh.

no not as yet, there not on the d/d list, but they prob get in the wrong hands like the pits did, and end up on there .?

Your wrong there ray .....

Section 1 of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 prohibits four types of dog:

1. Pit Bull Terrier

2. Japanese Tosa

3. Dogo Argentino

4. Fila Brasileiro

It is an offence to own or keep any of these types of dog. In addition, it is an offence to breed from, sell or exchange (even as a gift) such a dog.

• Like 1

No way a DOGO killed any decent sized pig, let alone 178!,…done be f*****g daft,…like i said, a good Bull dog will wipe the floor at catching/holding game.

and the

No way a DOGO killed any decent sized pig, let alone 178!,…done be f*****g daft,…like i said, a good Bull dog will wipe the floor at catching/holding game.

and the alano's would be simlar to bulldogs + xs with size drive , seen few vids of them and at 80 odd lb there still plenty big enough to hold a big boar .Don't forget the Alano as hell of a very strong jaw, bred for 1000's years for holding+ controlling bulls, touch more heavier than even a good boar lol

thats awesome, but I've seen bulldogs that have held 1000s!…it is easier, cheaper to fond a good bulldog, and they would be my choice as a holding dog for pigs, not saying the ALANO can't or won't do,...

Is the Alano not a modern recreation?

no , its a very old breed still used in Spain for hunting boars and controlling bulls and wild cattle. There still breeders out there got very good dogs, but not to say few modern type breeders wouldn't have messed around with pits etc with them.As they do with other breeds today, they had touch of pit when really there was no need with some breeds. A old Spanish breeder said that on a vid I watched not so long back , a well bred+proper Alano wont have pit or any other breed in it today .

Hows it going Bird,,is an alano and a Spanish mastiff the same thing?Theres a pub I drink in now and again that has one out the back(very big dog-I thought it was an owchartka but he said it was a Spanish mastiff)

was this it ? this is a Spanish mastiff,.!! some people call a Alano Spanish bulldog. the s/m are massive dogs 28-30in 160lb the Alano a lot smaller 25in 80 odd lb with very powerful jaw, prob more than the s/m as

330PX-1_zpsfdce3394.jpg

Im a bit late in joining the conversation...

The Spanish mastiffs were used as guard dogs to protect sheep from wolfs.

Dogos are banned in the UK and were never used ad fighting dogs as they were specifically bred to be a big game hunter, they descend from the fighting dog of cordoba which was a notorious fighting dog in South America.

The Alano of today is not the same Alano from the old days, there was new blood added during the recovery project in 70's. Todays there is 3 types of Alano, the Villano, the Alano and the Perro de Toro, a slight variation of the same dog bred in different parts of Spain.

When it comes to which breed is better the dogo, the alano or the american bulldog is really depends on what you prefer and what stock you buy your dogs from.

Its also worth saying that the current dangerous dogs law also cover type so any dog coming in that is not 1 of the banned breeds but is of the pit bull type could be ceased as my mate recently found out whilst importing two White English Bulldogs from America. Fortunately for him he was able to get them back after only a few days however they will be doing regular checks on them to make sure that they are dogos.