Can Anyone Help With Ferreting And Snaring

post-87353-0-43429500-1394041568.jpg

he pulls back when im trying to put him in

im not going to give up i want the adrenaline of catching a rabbit im thinking of getting a gill now to make a pair for next season thanks for your advise pal really appreciate it

dont try pushing ferrets into pipes, as that will make him push away and then not want to down rabbit holes as he will associate warrens with pipes, ferrets playing in pipes should be a fun time for them, how big is the cage, ???

you should set it up so he can access the pipes anytime, get used to them in his own time,

he pulls back when im trying to put him in

im not going to give up i want the adrenaline of catching a rabbit im thinking of getting a gill now to make a pair for next season thanks for your advise pal really appreciate it

dont try pushing ferrets into pipes, as that will make him push away and then not want to down rabbit holes as he will associate warrens with pipes, ferrets playing in pipes should be a fun time for them, how big is the cage, ???

you should set it up so he can access the pipes anytime, get used to them in his own im

im trying to upload photos of my cage so if i dont do it right im sorry

post-87353-0-61268300-1394041582.jpg

post-87353-0-65869000-1394041596.jpg

post-87353-0-32473400-1394041612.jpg

post-87353-0-99570800-1394041629.jpg

post-87353-0-67250700-1394041651.jpg

Edited by ruggers13
  • Like 1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bigger than this...

If you like reading, get your hands on the book Ferreting An Essential Guide, by Simon Whitehead its up to date, and will answer all your questions, on handling, feeding, hunting, breeding etc well pu

Personal Opinion I don't agree with snares.   OldhamLad out

Posted Images

Leave the rabbits in the summer and go after pigeons & squirrels for the pot...

The cage looks small IMHO; if you made it you'll be able to make it bigger... I'm going to convert a 6x4 shed into a multi level ferret court to give you an idea..

Tubes look fine...

Edited by Nick3439
  • Like 1

The cage looks small IMHO; if you made it you'll be able to make it bigger... I'm going to convert a 6x4 shed into a multi level ferret court to give you an idea..

Tubes look fine...

ive already started to change it to a 3 tier am doing it at minute ill post pictures tomorrow i had a big rabbit run i made a dog kennel but my german shepherd just ruined it so converted it into a big rabbit run i had to take it down my landlady wont let me have it in the garden

Dont try to run before you can walk mate

You should be looking at a 6x2x2 hutch minimum for two ferrets and raise it up you dont want to be bending all the time your feeding and cleaning them out

If you go to a farmer and say can i ferret , snare trap ? etc he will expect you to know what your doing and make a good job as theres always somebody chapping on his door looking for ground to use , so spend the summer researching and googling snaring , ferreting and take the time to learn the trades

• Like 2

bury your snares for a few days at least, , dont leave your scent on them, rabbits use differnt fence squares if you know what i mean, but nearly always the one on the run thats leading to them ect.... ! get yourself a marking dog/terrier saves you alot of time on the rabbit burys ect! seasons nearly over, but fair play mate, we need alot more people like you getting into it and learning the ropes ect, ATB FTS

• Like 2

bury your snares for a few days at least, , dont leave your scent on them, rabbits use differnt fence squares if you know what i mean, but nearly always the one on the run thats leading to them ect.... ! get yourself a marking dog/terrier saves you alot of time on the rabbit burys ect! seasons nearly over, but fair play mate, we need alot more people like you getting into it and learning the ropes ect, ATB FTS

cheers pal for the advse and support i know seasons just about over what day and month dose it finish ?

You should be looking at a 6x2x2 hutch minimum for two ferrets and raise it up you dont want to be bending all the time your feeding and cleaning them out

If you go to a farmer and say can i ferret , snare trap ? etc he will expect you to know what your doing and make a good job as theres always somebody chapping on his door looking for ground to use , so spend the summer researching and googling snaring , ferreting and take the time to learn the trades

i can make anysize cage i want i just aint allowed A big one in my garden iv stared to convert it into a 3 tier ive been gooleing snares and mine are just a little too big but does that matter cos i can just adjust the noose the size i want it i have been reading and trying to learn i thik i just need to decent the snares chees

as I said Ruggers there's more to snaring than setting the wires, who owns the ground, is their livestock in the field or adjutant fields, would the public see your snares.

When i was snaring it was on an estate so no fence snaring was allowed, only field snaring.

I would concentrate on getting ferreting permission, and learning the game and getting a bit of field craft behind you.

try and find a ferreter in your area, it may be difficult but its the best way, if he could take you out a couple of times to get you going. I would start with ferret and purse nets, then when you get more proficient you can start adding stop nets to your armory, you don't need stop nets but they come in handy in certain situations.

Also my number 1 is a good marking dog that will tell you if the buries are occupied, most dogs will take to this, but most prefer a lurcher, whippet, terriers, spaniels, or a collie.

• Like 1

theres horses on one of the fields but i stay away from there its like a woodland path im gong to post some pics when ive converted me cage theres a little bek thats where the warrens are theres top 6 holes in one and in another part theres only 2 holes can this happen ?and its covered in thorn trees but nowt on them so i crawl through to them i dont want to go and ask the farmer as i dont know what im doing yet and dont want to say i do to him/her and mess there land up ive got a terrier type dog i think shes a jack cross ill post a picture soon shes 3 will she learn still she chases them but then she wont listern to me cheers pal i dont think they will on some but there is another place its hard to descibe thats why im going to put pictures on thanks for the advise

Tubes look fine...

Tubes look fine...

ive finished my cage its not the best will this be ok cheers

post-87353-0-22476200-1394312858.jpg

post-87353-0-62677500-1394312911.jpg

post-87353-0-88138800-1394313105.jpg

post-87353-0-92050900-1394313138.jpg