Holding A Dog Back Till 2 Or Older ??

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No way would I keep a dog over 2 years that still hasn't shown any interest, I don't believe all that bollocks either that early starters don't last long, that's an excuse people use that have kennels

Holding it back will let the dog mature mentally I personally show a dog at around 16 to.18mnths then bring it on slowly not to much to soon that's just me. Atb d4g

think it depends on the dog , i'd be very disappointed in one not showing interest in going to ground from 6-9 months ..showing interest not entering although i have let some have a look at 9 months,

Posted Images

Every dog is different.. I treat them like boxers whatever age they start.. start them of easy and work their way up

Every dog aint different though mate .It really suprises me to read shit like this on here time after time and re-afirms the fact that loads of you still scatter breed with no other agenda than the last one worked .Going over the same ground as most of my posts in banging on about lines and the importance of it is getting boring for many i see including me and i sometimes wonder why i bother but if you breed a line then they are exactly that ,a line of clones almost that behave so similar its like they are clockwork .The only description in them being not machines is the amount of work i give each to not sicken it .The amount of people on here that cant see beyond whats in their kennel now is worrying to be honest .

Edited to say not a dig at you mate in person

Got to go baths overflowing lol

It works for me. Common sense to start them easy and work up. Have some good terriers over the years i bred myself and never had to line breed to get them either. :tongue2: No offense!!

its not any mathematics to it, just use your eyes, from 6 m o i think they should get something to react on and se where it goes from there, eventually and hopefully they pick up, but sitting for 2 years n doin nuthin and then being suppose to know the drill thats like asking someone to do a labor he never trained for. i think early signs of not at all having interest pretty much gives a good hint, rarely they turn from white to black due to time and patience. either they dont care/act cold n start later or they start and go from there. from scared to ful out ive not yet seen myself anyway..

No way would I keep a dog over 2 years that still hasn't shown any interest, I don't believe all that bollocks either that early starters don't last long, that's an excuse people use that have kennels full of non starters.

If you want the dog to really last even longer don't work it.

The terriers me and my digging partner have now will self enter from 7 months onwards but we try to keep them back til around 12 month old then they will get a few easy digs and continue to be dug as much as possible from then on.

Some don't last long but that's more to to with the style of there work etc but by 2 year old they should be prepared for anything.

Like has been said earlier if you breed from a tight line of quality dogs you should know what your going to get with the odd exception.

I have 2 pups here now at 8 month old dog and a bitch I dare bet I could dig the dog tomorrow but the bitch is a little behind, and the seasons virtually over for us now so it looks like there not gonna get started as soon as they'd like.

• Like 9

A terrier ruined from early starting....really? How do you know?? Basically what's been already said.....I think often you are just finding out sooner,rather than later, that the dog really hasn't got it in them......

For me the trouble with late starters is if they're questionable between 2-3 years, I'd still be questioning that dog at 4.....& that's potentially half it's working life gone.................& life too short

So you can garentee all you lineage will go to ground and work in the same way. Clones !!!!! How many times do you line breed before you out cross and is your out cross a distant relation to your own lines. Just interested in learning

Would be foolish to say guarantee but 75% will go on to make what i class as good digging dogs.The outcross is not always the same mate but it will be from another line similar to my own .4 or 5 gens of turning back in is about right for me before i think about outcross.Bit more to it but ive been over it before .

At 2 year old I'd just continue digging it some of the better dogs I've seen have had loads of digs before they get to 2.

. Just out of curiosity how many of them better dogs that started early are still around today??? As a lot of the younger dogs ive ever seen that started before 15/16 months, they started off great ended up being pts,

I lock them up till there two lol. Ive said a million times terriers are not robots Ive said around two years as a guide line to full entering , and ive had them at three but as all ways. Some will some wont. Ill end it there. Every one to there own ,

At 2 year old I'd just continue digging it some of the better dogs I've seen have had loads of digs before they get to 2.

. Just out of curiosity how many of them better dogs that started early are still around today??? As a lot of the younger dogs ive ever seen that started before 15/16 months, they started off great ended up being pts,

ps that doesn't mean that all dogs that start young don't make the grade