Ok fellas who brings more to table the hen or the cock...... Most men like to breed from proven cocks.... Show winners....... But I would much prefer to breed from a proven hen who as produced show winners!.... I would go as far to say the hen contributes at least 70 percent of her qualitys to the stags.... I'm just curiouser to see who agrees and disagrees with me...... Uk

Good to good for me UK just like old man frank shy if you put a proven hen over a decent cock expect decent fowl but if you put a good cock over a proven hen and you have tried it before you should get good fowl provided you know your blood lines to start with a,t,b O,T,T

Well me personally uk , think you need both, a lot is always said about this mystical produceing hen,

but a real top notch cock, should be reproduceing himself in his offspring, but without a good hen this will

be diluted, so unless you drop across a A star hen (and you wont unless single mateing) such as "the blue hen of Delaware"

the "chocolate hen" from E.S Hatch..or the famouse round head hen" muggsy " then no more sitting on the fence... 50/50

both equally important.

Well I don't think you undstand the qwestion correctly...... Yes to be successful you bred from a proven hen and cock...... But the qwestion. Who passes on higher percentage of the genes to offspring the cock or hen?....... Uk

Well fellas I after disagree give me a golden hen any day........ You may go a life time and only come a cross one or tow....... But when do you will know...... As now matter what you breeder her to will be first class!... Uk

Sorry mate but I totally disagree with that altogether how do you expect to get good from crap I don't care how good the hen is if as you say 70 persent hen good what about the other 30 present what is crap easy to put in a lot harder to get back out if ever you can good to good my old mate that's my way anyway a,t,b O,T,T

Now...... OTT I'm now talking about some rodeland red...... I'm talking about a good onast brood cock...... I'm talking about the tape of hen that no matter Witch one of your brood cocks you breed her to she will produce above average stags......

Well UK as they say you will not bread a grand national winner from a good mare and a donkey that is why top stallions are bred to top mares chickens dogs pigeons horses what ever its a combination of both parents 50,50 so if you put good to good you will get good, That's how I keep at the top and others are always a good second ha ,ha ,har a, t ,b ,, O,T,T

• Like 1

hope you lads don't mind me havin my twopenneth on this , im mainly a dog man , and have been for 30+ years ,terriers lurchers hounds ,, in all those years you get real good dogs show up and you find lads will go to one of them dogs with there bitches hopeing to breed similer or better , my advise to these lads has allways been go to the sire of that dog with a better bitch and hope you get the attributes of both ,,, just my opinion

• Like 2

Its a well known fact that stags follow the brood hen and pullets follow the brood cock its sex linked trait you will see this first hand when you put a red cock over grey hen, we all no for the most part this produces grey stags red pullets now this is only colour sex link but it does give an insight to what other genetics are passed on I would agree that you can get above average producing hens I have had two of these such hens over the years and when bred to average brood cocks produced far better stags than there popa,but back hen /cock I do believe you should breed the very best you can get from both sides because you need a good cock to produce future brood hens.

As you have just said hatch,28, that is a colour sex link and that is not the question UK asked, he said which is best the hen or the cock and I said both, which anybody that under stands breeding knows, you breed good fowl from a good producing BROOD,,,, PAIR,,,, mate, but if you are not like me that only keeps good fowl, well then I suppose you have got to breed from what you have got and hope your golden hen produces something half decent but in todays show pens decent show birds don't pay the corn bill good ones dose a t b O,T,T

Read what I wrote again I mearly stated that as a visual insight as to what genetics are passed from both cock and hen if you read all of what I wrote you will also see the importance I put on both the cock and hen.

• Like 1